Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sierra Diff

p.mole1

Thanks for the help I didn't want to start grinding the case if it wasn't necessary. I didn't actually need to remove as much as I thought. Any tips for fitting the oil seals, I got the bearings and races on no problem,but the oil seals are proving a real problem I've wrecked the first one they are a unbelievably tight fit

IMG_3497.thumb.JPG.ea4e1d07fcec6257afeb14aff08ae6d4.JPG

I'm struggling to make sense of the Ford repair procedure for the diff. How critical is the preload on the diff bearings? It states the following.

60.Adjust the bearings.
1 Turn the differential several times to settle the bearings.
2 Adjust the bearing housings until they make contact with the taper roller bearings; there must be appreciable backlash.

What the hell does that mean " adjust the bearings till they make contact with the taper roller bearings". It's a bit vague?. The easy part is the backlash no problems with that, I am worried about over/under tightening the bearings I don't want a noisy diff. My current diff is quiet as a church mouse and I would like to keep it that way!. I have noticed that diff noise seems to be an issue with some cars and mine was replaced under warranty by Caterham in 1996! 

Adjust the bearings until they make contact means just that! As you tighten the housings the races will be brought together until they contact each other. You are feeling for when you feel the races come together which will be felt by an increased resistance when turning the housings. You do this with a greater backlash than you aim to finish with to ensure the mesh of the gears isn’t too tight effecting the feel of the bearing contact. You then work from this point to set your 0.01mm backlash by moving the housings together at the point of contact. Then once you have 0.01mm backlash you correctly pre load the bearings by turning one housing a further 4 castellations. You should then have 0.12mm backlash and correctly preloaded bearings. It’s a job that takes a certain amount of ‘engineering feel’ which has to be honed with experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just removed my diff, Id say yes, removing the front half of the boot floor would make it much easier.  Aside from anything else, standing at the rear of the car you can get the spanners in from above to the long top bolt, and you'll be in the right place to manipulate the jack. Don't forget to put the prop shaft in first, and the spacer washers between the chassis mounts and diff.      

Diff back in it took 20 minutes with the boot floor in place, couldn't have been easier! I used a jack and a helper. Put the long bolt in first without any washers, centralized the diff and put in the lower bolts removed the top bolt and replaced it with the required spacers, only needed a tap from a rubber mallet. Prop shaft bolts were the most awkward.