Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MoT emission test

Robin C

I seem to have missed some recent news???

Previously I thought Self build cars were only subject to a visual emission test, and in fact in the case of my 1 and only MoT test to date my local friendly garage barely did that. However I'm getting the impression from some threads that this may have changed. As I'm about to remove my standard exhaust and cat and replace it with a 4-2-1 with no cat, and my MoT is due in April can somebody bring me up to date.

Many thanks.

Robin.

Robin if you car is a 1.8 K I have a cat I'm not using as I too converted to a 4:1 recently. It has the ends taped up, since I got the car in May 02. I don't need a MOT for three years.

If you want to borrow it for a few days, we might work something out should you need to borrow it. *idea*

Steve

210Bhp SV-VHPD *thumbup* click here to see our pictures....

If your car went through SVA (ie registered from August 1998 onwards) then it will have to pass an emissions test regardless of whether it was kit built or not.

If it was kit built and registered before 1st August 1998 then a visible smoke test is all thats required (see the 'boxout' in section 6.4 of the MOT Testers manual)

There is a thread here with a statement from Caterham

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Edited by - Nick Woods on 7 Mar 2003 15:40:25

Take it along to Roman Motors, Western Rd, Stratford OA. 01789 269237

Despite just completing an MOT refresher course, Robin, who does the MOT's there asked ME what it should be.

I have a 1.8K with a standard cat, so it would have been no problem, however I replied "just visible smoke", he believed me, didn't even get the probe out.

He'a a good bloke, recommended to me by a Warwicks member, lets you sit in the car, do the brake test, nose about underneath etc., a really relaxed MOT.

Tom

Hmmmm. Right I've found and read the threads now and am fully informed. Thanks guys.

My local test centre sounds a bit like Roman Motors so I'll start there. If I fail I may try Roman or put the cat back on!