Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

ZZS or Toyo R888R

RupertJames

My car is currently shod with avon ZZS's, 6" front and 8" rear. The rears are on their last couple mm's so will be changing them soon. I've really enjoyed the tyres so far; great traction in the dry, great breakaway, really nice feedback and decent in the wet. 

I see that many are using toyo r888r's, and was wondering if anyone has experience of both they wish to share with me?

I'm interested in any comparisons in sidewall stiffness, weight, feedback, breakaway, wet weather performance, and overall grip. I'll be choosing according to which tyre is better with regard to those criteria. 

My car is primarily a road car which is used occasionally on track, hence I'm looking for something of the same ilk as the ZZS.

Cheers

Rupert

I have the same question too but not many replies. R888R has a slightly higher side wall - not sure if that is good or bad. Last time I checked CC didn’t have the 13” ZZS listed which was strange. Tempted to try R888Rs next time round but hugely impressed by ZZS.

Re your request:

“I'm interested in any comparisons in sidewall stiffness, weight, feedback, breakaway, wet weather performance, and overall grip. I'll be choosing according to which tyre is better with regard to those criteria”

I have run both Avon ZZS and Toyo R888R on track and on the road, and my feedback would be:

Stiffness - the Toyo has a taller profile and therefore gives a more compliant ride (it also gives you a slightly higher ride height, of course)

Weight - the ZZS is a bit lighter

Feedback and breakaway - the ZZS marginally more progressive, perhaps, but the Toyo is also very reassuring

Wet weather - the Toyo is surprisingly good in the wet, despite limited tread pattern, but the ZZS is better

Overall grip - the Toyo is marginally grippier on track

All IMHO of course...

Stephen *byebye*