Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tall chassis stands

philwaters

I have seen a few of these and they look good - less bending down to work on the car and working under the car made a peice of cake...

My question is how do you get the car up on them, and off again? My trolly jack struggle to get my car high enough for the highest adjustment on the axle stands so has no hope... don't fancy having to do it in stages either (using blocks to space the jack up)... so is it an engine hoist onto the chassis job?

Also, where to get them cheap? Make your own? etc???

Back burner project as I really must finish the car mods at the moment, but a summer thing maybe...

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Aha that's it, a great idea for a new product line for my factory *idea*

I will get them made Phil but, not too sure how you go about raising the car to the correct height in the first place *confused*

Anybody else want any made 🤔 😬

Brent

7 not now in so many bits 😬

Sounds good Brent... CNC Titanium ok? *tongue* Bulk buy opportunity maybe?

Could be adjustable for height via a pin and a series of holes, but a simple one at 3 or 4ft high would surfice....

Now, how do you get the car up there 🤔

Phil Waters

I would be interested in trestle style stands but need them to be about 18" tall and fold up for easy storage on garage wall. If you are going to work under the car I think they need to have a safety factor of at least four. i.e. carry 2 tons.

Castors would be useful.

Regards

John S

My pal got a high lift trolley jack from a garage eqpt auction. It lifts to c. 18 inches and is fabulous for this typ of thing. Sadly my #20 Halfrauds model isn't as good. ☹️

Land Rover bods have a bl888dy great thing that lifts a Landy using the bumper - gets about 2ft in the air. I don't think they work with carbon nose cones the same.

You can get 4 post lifts ex garages for 500 notes. Ooh, if I won the lottery...I'd pay sb. else to drive the car on there for me and do the maintenance.

Hijack mode on

At some point in the distant future I will hopefully be building an SV. are there any "plans" for a standard stand? If not, what size should I make them? Height and width etc

Hijack mode off

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Is it easy to rob a bank and get away with it???

I've just spent a day under the car fitting S types. I guess some people pay good money nto lie on their backs, covered in oil....but higher axle stand would've have been smart.

To hijack the thread - Phil - just a quick question. Do you run leather S type seats with that aeroscreen? I've just fitted S types and I'm about an inch higher (it seems). I'm planning on aeroscreens (& will wear a helmet/eye protection) - don't you get a load of road kill in the smacker?

*cool*

Brent - you've started something now..!! Care to comment?

Arnie - I presume you have to lift it in stages? Or can you lift one end 18 - 20" in one go with the lifted end staying stable while you do the other?

I am only looking for the winter time really as without an expensive high lift jack it would be a pain for anything other than major work. Maybe I won't bother as I don't have an engine hoist at the moment either... ☹️

Julian - Yeah I have the latest style seats, but cloth, in my car. I tend to look slightly over the Brooklands but the airflow is such that 99% of flies get pushed over you. The 1% was a rather large moth that was too big to get pushed out the way - a nice splat in the middle of my visor and a nice goo for the trip home 😳 - was glad of the helmet at that point! They are only out at night though.

Phil Waters

Ok then, if we can all agree on a suitable design I will get some made in my factory and will move them on to L7C members, only, at cost (ie materials + labour).

I don't suppose there will be too many required but to sell at cost I must, obviously, restrict the numbers.

So who wants to be first with a design?

Brent

7 not now in so many bits 😬

Its precarious but I do mine in stages with blocks of wood and a jack, to get it onto my axle stands which I think are about 18 inches high. I did a bit of a risk assessment on this and figured a better method is needed so am looking into low profile high lift jacks.

A possible method which I want to try is the ATV quad bike lifter that a couple companies make as this can lift nearly half tonne to this height and it is wide and hence stable

Hi, I followed Graham's route here. Car assembled high level except for engine and lowered down in stages - bit nail bitting. Secret to take it slowly.

Once on the groundand engine suspension can be tightened up

All done in std garage with std halfrauds trolley jack and bit of patience

if you are building - having a lttle higher makes all the difference

Anthony

VX the real way sideways

I have seen people use what amounts to a hand-operated pallet truck that has a maximum lift height of perhaps 2 feet. Does require access from the side of the car but seems to work v well and is quick. Have a look at item #050710685 on www.machinemart.co.uk. Lift height is 820mm or 32" in old units. Cost is £400 ex VAT.