Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dash cam

metal mickey

I think Nextbase is the market leader because they are available from Halfords.    I prefer my dash cams to be a inconspicuous device, one you can fit and forget its there.   I have been using BlackVue for a few years and its been perfect in the regard, with a few tweaks in the settings using the app my dash cam makes no sound and only has one power light.   

The biggest trick is making sure the sd card is the correct specification.  You need a card that's fast enough, and robust enough for the number of times its overwritten.  Basically some cards are overwritten every 4 hours of driving in a dash cam, if you compare that to digital camera use, where it might take months before the card is full you can see why a cheap card is not going to cut the mustard.  Look for a class 10 MLC SD card (not TLC) and you should be fine.

I use a transcend 200 in my tin top. Really clear pictures through top quality lens structure. Date and time stamp on recording and programmable for recording duration. Uprade to 220 would give gps speed recording which may or may not be desirable if the film is ever used evidentially.

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone round in circles on this trying to decide what the best approach might be. I kind of like the idea of something that is integrated, like the small cylindrical front and rear cameras used on motorbikes, but never pulled the trigger. Based on what my mobile does when used as a sat nav I figured vibration would be an issue, so the smaller and lighter the product the better, but that translates into cheap, with rubbish mounting.

Another thought I had was mounting it off a bracket on the roll bar. GoPro do a suitable mount, but I'm really after both front and rear. Yet another idea was a bracket that fixed to the top of the windscreen, but I've not come across anything suitable. So, still mulling this over but I will look into the suggestions above.

If you use your phone as a sat nav you might consider the sat nav/dash cam combo from Garmin instead:-

https://www.halfords.com/technology/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/garmin-driveassist-51lmt-d-with-full-europe-maps-5-sat-nav

This has the normal suction cap attachment for mounting on the screen. I use it in my tin top but only as a sat nav on my aeroscreen.