Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing Gold DS Pump...

GPBox

Hi all, trying the impossible to get the DS pump out of my 2003 R400K without removing Throttle bodies etc...

Q1: which direction does the bolt holding the DS pulley UNWIND ? clockwise or Anti ?

Q2: Is it possible to remove the upper and lower retaining bolts w/o having to remove the Throttle bodies ?....

thanks all

Graham

ah ha....thanks, any bright ideas on how to stop the pulley turning when I try to undo the cap bolt ?...

thanks all !

Graham

PS - managed to get the two rear bolts out...after, removing engine mount, steering column etc....painful !!

G

• Leadership Team

From memory ... remove the pulley bolt by inserting a 6mm hex key through one of the pulley holes into one of the pump front mounting bolts, IIRC they're M8, and use this to lock the pulley. The pulley is only secured by a small M6 cap head bolt so should loosen quite easily (use Loctite when reassembling).

Stu.

• Area Representative

Having very recently completed this task, I did the following:

1. Loosened the cap head holding the D/S pulley in place.

2. Pulled the tensioner down and removed the belt (which was cracked in places) followed by the pulley. At first this was quite stiff, but some gentle taps with a piece of wood had it sliding off. Pulley was then thoroughly cleaned as was caked with dried old oil at the rear.

3. Removed the front 2 M6 (I think) bolts - these were very easy to remove

4. Undone the pump oil feed & return pipes - the top (metal) pipe I had to use a tie wrap to position it out of the way.

5. Spent the next 3 hours swearing/cursing trying to remove the back 2 M6 bolts - I managed this in the end without having to remove steering column/TBs and other bits and bobs, but it was a job for an inexperienced mechanic like myself, but I learnt a lot in doing so.

Once the final bolt was out, the pump just came away without any issue.

Today the pump is being posted to Titan for a refresh with a view to putting it all back together again some time in January...

I'm going to buy a 6mm flexible ratchet spanner as I think that might help with the back two bolts when used with correct 6mm hex bit.