Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T - LPG, turbos & superchargers

AlShack

All

I gather that LPG conversion are not suitable for turbo cars due to the reduction in exhaust gases when running LPG having an adverse effect on the spinning of the exhaust turbine.

What about superchargers? With these being chain-driven as opposed to relying on the exhaust turbine, will it work?

Don't worry, nothing planned to the Seven, just a question from a colleague.

Cheers

Al

Al

Superchargers should definately not produce a problem for LPG, as you say the compression of the air charge is mechanical and independent of the volume of exhaust gas.

I am a little sceptical of how worried you need to be with turbos, after all the volume of exhaust gas and the power produced are directly related. If an LPG engine produces 5-10% less power (I think this is the figure) then you would expect to see a 5-10% reduction in exhaust gas volume.

The power being produced by the pressure of gas pressing down on the piston and then being released to atmospheric pressure.

But driving at a set speed both the LPG and petrol car would be producing the same power and therefore the same volume of gas (more or less). this would suggest that the turbo would be spun up the same amount in each case.

BUT with the cost of LPG you can increase the boost level over and above this defecit and win nearly all the way.

Nick

Rob G

There are now LPG driven trucks on our roads, so I assume that large power outputs have been achieved.

Although there is the received wisdom that the gas is down on power, I've never been able to spot any difference between running on unleaded and running on gas in our engine (not Seven). The only way to tell is to look at the toggle switch. Perhaps a less subjective assessment (on a rolling road) could assess that difference, but it isn't at all obvious from the driver's seat.

The real disadvantage is having to have two fuel tanks, with all the attendant loss of boot space. This is fine if you are using the Range Rover to take little Cedric to school and back, where spare space is not a problem, but in a smaller car it can be a bit irritating at times.

LPG actually gives higher exhaust temps, so if the turbo is sized correctly will give better performance.

As for the HP loss, this is due to the SH*te way LPG conversions are done. If you inject liquid phase LPG, then the supercooling of the inlet air will give you 30% MORE power than on petrol.

Other way is, if you use the intercooler to vapourise the LPG, then you gain back what you usually lose heating up the fuel with engine water

Bill

I have a Ford Falcon ''dedicated LPG'' car. It is 4.0 litres and produces 157kw which is a tad higher output than the equiv ulp version. Torque is UP 5% on the petrol one also. Can't see any adverse performance , never runs hot, always runs smoothly and at present AUD .45c per litre cheeeep to run

I can only suggest that if yer interested in a Propane Powered car... Make absolutely sure it came from the car manufacturer that way.. NOT some lashup from "alf's" garage/chippy... recently saw a car that 2 teenage girls burned to death in after their "propane converted" car was rear ended... just imagine the feeling their father had after having comissioned the deathtrap.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with the concept.. just the installations.

Al

Recently enquired about converting my ML320 to LPG at my Merc dealer. Their answer was "no way" as the engine, cat and exhaust have not been designed for LPG.

Most of the "successful" LPG cars have come from the manufacturers in dual-fuel spec. Certainly, when I phoned round the "approved" Autogas installers in this area I was not impressed by their understanding of the technical aspects of the conversion.

Racing pics and items for sale here