Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help needed, valve to keep oil in Apollo tank upon start up ?

Ralph45

Any help regarding a valve to stop the oil draining from the Apollo tank back to the sump when the engine is turned off would be usefull.

I have read here somewhere about such a valve but can't find it again.

if anyone could tell me where in the set up it fits and where I can get one from I would be very grateful 

Hi Ralph, it fits in the hose between the top of the Apollo and the cam cover. They are supplied by Think Automotive. I had them make up a new replacement hose complete with the valve inline for a little extra as most of the cost is in the valve itself. When you do an oil change you will need to remove the hose from the top of the Apollo or inlet side of the valve to allow the oil to drain down (I normally blow down the top of the Apollo to help it along). Steve

I am sure they have made quite a few but I posted them my existing pipe to be certain of the fittings (although mine needed to be longer than normal as it is a metric chassis - which is a bit unusual). The contact is Santino Meale. Let me know if there’s any uncertainty when you speak to them as they could probably lookup my order as it was quite recent.

Did an oil change recently on car with Apollo tank. Removed hose fitting from top of tank and fed thin vacuum hose into the tank from my Pela oil extractor ... emptied the dregs from the tank a treat. Easier and safer than trying to remove tank drain plug. Don't even think about trying to remove one of the main hoses once installed.

I didn’t have one on my last 7 but it was awful listing to the engine without lubrication and seeing zero oil pressure on startup. Having said that if it was purely for track I wouldn’t fit one because I read somewhere that it reduces the effectiveness of the Apollo.

OK, then. If you wan't to do it right, then fit a 1.8 bar oil pressure switch from a VW and connect the output to a solenoid valve.

(Some diesels may have a lower trigger point which will be better I reckon).

VW's high pressure switches are normally open meaning that the output is on when pressure is sufficient. 

This'll give you the best of both worlds; only downside is the weight, but only dumbs care about that. *boxedin*