Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing a Hydraulic Clutch.

CPGCharlie

Intrigued...an SV I assume...

Im no mechanic but have helped out a fair few times but the last one which was a clutch change etc involved a very modified engine and with that we later learnt a modified slave cylinder etc . it caused tears....but was resolved.

I word at Raceline might be a good idea to see what they fitted.

If you are down south and need any hands shout out 

Alan

Let's see: I have a 2.3 Duratec, Freestyle inboard suspension and the clutch slave failed the day after the 60th weekend last year.  And I live in Berkshire.  Yes, it's engine out but as I did it myself (with help from a couple of Surrey-based *eek* 7ers) the cost was just a new slave cylinder.

I don’t know, I had no warning whatsoever. We were out for a blat between the 60th weekend and the track day on the Tuesday when I changed gear as I overtook another car only to find I had no drive.  Changing it took a few hours getting the engine out and back in again, actually swapping the slave cylinder only took a few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to the trouble of splitting the engine and bell-housing, I would certainly renew the clutch plates as worn plates are likely to be the problem.

Slave cylinders don't often fail.  I would make sure you fit a remote bleed nipple on a length of hose if you haven't already got one.  It certainly makes life easier than trying to get a tool on the bleed nipple that barely reaches the cutout in the bellhousing.