Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Just because I can (K-series content)

rj

So a K Series re-engineered by Ricardo with backward compatibility for K series parts.  Years after it was originally designed and since Rover went bust, is this now the Holy Grail for K series owners?  All problems fixed, modernised production and design techniques but able to accept (presumably) aftermarket performance bits like TB, exhaust, mapping etc.  Id be interested in Oilys thoughts, whether its really is a step forward on whats gone before.  

Mark,

Until now no issues with machining. The casting is more rough then the English made engines, but it seems OK. 

With the bottom just laid on the table of the milling machine I could not get a 0.01 mm gauge blade under it at any corner, but the deck was out by 0.02mm. I have skimmed it by 0.06mm and then drilled for the bigger bore liners.

I've been able to maintain tolerances less than 0.002mm. I drilled the bores some two weeks earlier than milling the ribs and logo; at that point I re-checked the tolerances; they were still within the 0.002mm. 

The workshop I'm abusing is mainly used for milling alloy so the tools I have access to are ideal - and it's not cheap hobby stuff. Only issue is that the machines often are busy and I am a bit slower than experienced toolmakers.

Next project will be to extend the oilways for better flow to the main bearings. I am striving to build the ultimate "K" engine 

The specs are covered in that Wikipedia article:

The 1796cc Kavachi engine is produced in two versions, a naturally aspirated producing 98 kW (131 bhp; 133 PS) at 6,000 rpm and 168 N⋅m (124 lb⋅ft) @ 4,500 rpm, and a turbocharged version producing 118 kW (158 bhp) at 5,500 rpm and 215 N⋅m (159 lb⋅ft) of torque from 2,500 to 4,500 rpm. It is Drive-by-wire.

That also seems to suggest that it may still be in use in the Roewe 550 - but I had read elsewhere that it was no longer in production.