Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wanted K Series Lower Timing Belt Cover (See Pic for Specific Type!)

revilla

Wanted, K Series lower timing belt cover like the one shown below.

Note that there are two possible locations molded into the plastic for the metal bush for the bolt in the centre, and it needs to be the bottom one (as shown) that is used.

Unfortunately I keep buying ones on eBay that have it in the top location (despite the images shown ... the image below is from one of the adverts and the part had it in the top location when it arrived). For some reason it seems that both parts can be labelled as LJR104350 just to add to confusion!

Covers using the top bolt position do not fit my (VVC) engine.

Has anybody got one spare please?

Needs to be in good condition without any splits or cracks, especially around the mounting bolt positions.

s-l400.jpg

Thanks, Andrew

Yes Regin, Rimmer do look like they have them. I was also unaware of the difference until I came to try to put this one the engine I'm building! Rimmer have two grids, one for the VVC and one for the MPI engine. The MPI grid has this part missing completely and the VVC grid lists a part that says "MPI only" or similar which just makes it more comfusing. I was looking to get a good used one, but if nothing turns up I will order from Rimmer and it can be returned if it's wrong.

I didn't know there was a difference either. I'm not even sure it is a difference between VVC and MPI or maybe earlier vs. later engines. No idea. All I know is that all my VVC engines use the lower hole and when I tried to fit one that used the upper hole to an engine I'm building, it didn't line up at all. The VVC does use a different upper/inner cover which is what this attaches to, so it could well be the VVC that makes the difference, although quite why they would make that change I have no idea. It did come as a surprise to me too, I've never known one not fit before.

I didn't know there was a difference either. I'm not even sure it is a difference between VVC and MPI or maybe earlier vs. later engines. No idea. All I know is that all my VVC engines use the lower hole and when I tried to fit one that used the upper hole to an engine I'm building, it didn't line up at all. The VVC does use a different upper/inner cover which is what this attaches to, so it could well be the VVC that makes the difference, although quite why they would make that change I have no idea. It did come as a surprise to me too, I've never known one not fit before.

I will try as I've had to break the upper outer cover to get access. Suppose I can't even recover the inner cover. Or maybe I should just run without to avoid catastrophes like the one that happened on the 28th October where a three months old cambelt had disintegrated.

Andrew, 

Sorry for the delay. Didn't make it to the garage until today.

This is what I got from Rimmerbros:

IMG_20181129_122221.thumb.jpg.5fb7d8791c8ba1e0775f441f69c77920.jpg IMG_20181129_122247.thumb.jpg.3b74d23a5355a99e334ec3fc648df3fa.jpg

It's a little difficult to see, but the two possible locations of the brass-boss are marked A and B. Mine is the B-version and the location of the boss is identical to the cover on the VVC engine I've got on the loft.

I did mod one myself. Drilled out the other hole, pressed the little brass insert out and pressed it into the new hole using flat washers on each side and a nut and bolt to draw it into place. But I didn't like it being "wrong" on my immaculate-build engine and I didn't like the old hole being there. I thought of blanking it with a grommet but I would just have worried (irrationally -probably) about the grommet coming out and going into the belt, so decided it was worth a new cover. Just being a perfectionist I guess! I'm sure the Rimmer one will be correct, thanks for checking fo me.

I'd make a dowel from PE that had shape of a pulley, but with the outer "rim" to be bigger than the inner and of course the inner to be chamfered. Pressed in from the outside. I could live with that.

I /might/ make a mould for carbon covers though.