Click here if you are having website access problems ×

De Dion Suspension travel / trailing link clearance

bahf

Can anyone tell me what the clearance between the de dion upper trailing link to the driveshaft joint casing should be on full rebound with a wide buttress de dion tube?  The reason that I state wide buttress de dion tube is that on full rebound (no spriing damper units fitted) the buttress sits on the diagonal chassis members.  The car is on build stands at the moment.

reason for the question is that I'm rebuilding a car with a mixed collection of parts and the clearance looks to be too small to allow adequate suspension movement before the trailing link will foul.  

Thanks in advance

Brian

I think you will find that this is normal even with the dampers fitted. When I lift my car with a trolley jack under the De Dion, and then lower it on to axle stands under the rear chassis, the same touch condition occurs when the De Dion is hanging with the jack removed.  However with a laden vehicle under spirited road conditions I have never had a problem with max rebound.

Thanks Jim

I'm not concerned about the delay fion touch on the chassis rail but the trailing arm appears to be very close to driveshaft joint housing at this condition, maybe only an inch clearance. This will be a touch condition after maybe only 80mm from full rebound.

Travelling at the moment, so can't measure it precisely and finished late in the garage last night when the rugby was beckoning

Cheers Brian