Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T - Volkwagen cambelt & waterpump change - parts brand INA & Circoli

Nick Bassett

• Area Representative

Our VW CC 2.0TDI has only done < 40k but now 5 years old, needs a cambelt change - plan to do the water pump at the same time as it seems to make sense...

Local Inde with a very good rep has quoted me £339 all in for the job, using an INA cambelt kit and Circoli waterpump... INA are German and have a good reputation (I think), but what about Circoli?

Thanks

Nick

• Area Representative

Hi Tom,

I had read that but there is another argument... the early impellors were of a cheaper plastic that did indeed break up, but more modern version use a much tougher material that resists breaking up much better - also being plastic it is lighter and therefore puts less strain on the impellor bearings. Now all of this might be bollox - a bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

The garage I'm planning to use is very respected and having spoken to the owner, all work is warranted for 12 months and to use his words, 'I only use part I know I can trust, otherwise it causes me problems down the line'...

I will ask what material the impellor is made from though!

Cheers

Nick

From memory, Euro Car Parts who are one of the UK's largest suppliers to the non-franchised garage trade, control and possibly own the Circoli brand.  In this type of arrangement there is some chance that Euro are sourcing from OEM suppliers whose contracts preclude them from participating against the OEM in the aftermarket.  Equally, some parts could be sourced from 3rd party suppliers who clone OEM designs.

I'd speculate that the motor trade at large would not endorse fitting of Circoli parts  if there was a high failure rate, as the trade would have to cover the labour content of repairs. 

The INA belt is made by a major OEM supplier Schaeffler who own the brand, and it will probably be a re-badged OEM part.