Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can bus - does anyone know anything?

rj

Probably a long shot, but I would like to find some small Can Bus high power "high side" switches to operate headlamps, indicators, rear lamps and fuel pump. What I'm after is a small "local" device to enable me just to have  +ve, -ve and can hi / can lo to each lamp - I will, of course, also need something to send the can commands to them.

Does it exist or would anyone know anything about for example Arduino devices that could be used?

In "real" racecars there's a single common PDU, but I'd like those to be spread around the car instead to simplify wiring.

Unfortunately not. This also is one central unit. There's a few of those on the market; what I want is de-central units in each lamp / light as this would make it possible to run only one "rigid" wire to each (especially headlamp).

I know this is weight managing taken to the extreme, but that's who I am. (Sorry).

And don't get me wrong. I appreciate the effort.

I am thinking of something with a microprocessor and maybe four "highside switches" on a small board. TI make a 10A switch, and some make a programmable switch meaning that it can act as current protection at the same time. Ideally the microprocessor is programmable so that you can tell each unit what to react on: There's no need to be able to turn on each headlamp individually, nor front/rear indicator, but it would be nice that not all four indcators went on at the same time :-p

It has to be can bus to be able to communicate with other automotive devices.

I know there's a development board here:

https://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails/mcp2515dm-bm

and it may well end up with something I have to design myself although it would have been easier if someone here could point me to something I hadn't been able to find myself.

There is a decent central unit available here:

https://www.ecumaster.com/products/pmu/

and whilst it does not offer the de-central units I'm sure it could reduce complexity of the wiring loom.

I'm part of the way there, having built a little PCB with four solid state high side 10A switches. It's dumb at the moment, but a lot smaller than four relays and fuses. As for multiplex comms, CAN is a bit of a challenge for maker/hobby stuff, so I'm looking at LIN instead. I'm happy to share more if people are interested.