Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

420 LHS Wiring, Starter Motor + other engine loom

CtrMint

Ref 420 R LHS wiring

Hey All,

Unfortunately another build post from me, seems I’m hitting loads of dead ends at the moment.

I’ve tried this evening to finish off the LHS wiring but the manuals, 2015 and newer one don’t seem to make any sense here, well not to me.  I’ve also looked at a couple of reference images I took of a 310 and that seems to differ too.  Prior posts are unfortunately not specifically helping and I’m still unsure.

Hopefully you can help.

Basically I’m trying to sort the wiring for the starter motor.

With the exception of the red/white cable attached to the lower thread (hidden in the picture) I’m unsure what I need to attach to the top two main threads of the motor.

IMG_2172.thumb.jpg.cf744a270976ea8fbadc85010f54664c.jpg

I seem to have these two cable tied to the chassis and I’m assuming they attach to the starter motor given their ring termination and proximity, but I’m not sure which connection.  Given the larger brown wire was already connected to right hand side I’m assuming that would be the logical connection???

IMG_2169_0.thumb.jpg.dff78fbb6f6770b5271c0f9f520f50a1.jpg

Is the brown negative or positive, I’m assuming negative ??

Does anything connect to the left hand connection?  Is that the positive from the battery?

I then have these as part of the engine loom?? No idea with these.

IMG_2168_0.thumb.jpg.34a57d0edb354e11f28113f2926cfbb3.jpg

Thanks all.

Brown is positive.  The RH (outermost) stud takes the 2 brown wires with ring connectors, brown from the alternator, and red from battery which you should leave disconnected at the other end for now. At the back of the build manual you will see the wiring diagram for the other colour coded connections.

My guess is temp sensors, oil and water, look for the wire colours in the wiring diagram that Jim mentions... or show it to us.

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/duratec-running-hot

while having a look to see if your wiring diagram is posted here somewhere I came across this thread:

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/duratec-running-hot

and the chat about difficulty changing out the thermostat after build, so thought it might be of interest as regards yours. It also talks about various radiator wires some being unused, colour codes are mentioned I think. Anthony

Could you clarify the wiring colours to each of those spade connectors?  (It's not too clear from the photo.)

If you have two connectors with Black/Green and Black/Yellow, these are likely to be for the fan.  You can use either one (they are intended for a Hi/Lo set-up).

I'd guess that the White/Brown(?) is for the OP sender.

Is the other connector (the one at the bottom in your photo) a single Black wire?

JV

A good outcome, but it would have been helpful if CC had labelled the connectors to that effect. 

During my Duratec build 10 years ago, I had a very similar problem, and only resolved it after a call to CC Engineering.  I've just trawled through my files and came across this comment (which I submitted to CC as part of my overall feedback on the Assembly Guide):

"A table explaining what the various colour codes signified would have been very useful!  I had quite a few unidentified wires, which I only really sorted out after sending [Engineering] some pictures.  I discovered only much later that the diagrams followed (I think) BS-AU7a! "

It seems no action was taken to improve the AG?

JV

• Area Representative

JV,

You are absolutely correct that CC will not make amendment action as I had the same problem with the alternator & starter motor wiring during my build back in late 2012.

Phoning CC elicited the correct answers & I told them why that they should make it clear in the build manual. In my post build critique this was one item among many!

The worse thing was the picture showing the connection of the cooling hoses to & from the block on the LHS......it was UPSIDE DOWN.

Why do CC never listen ot learn?

I'm still struggling with the whole electrical stuff at the moment.

I've managed to connect the positive onto the starter motor and run it back, although the cable does seem to be on the limit in terms of length.  I'm now trying to tidy the ECU plug and excess wiring, but I just can't seem to get it tidy where I'm happy it won't rub.

Does anyone have any good build images of how they solved this bit?  Unfortunately I can't go see a car at a dealer etc so images would really help.

Thanks