Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fish and Chips

Sorry if this is obvious, but why do you ask?

For me, you can't beat a long ray and chips, although I think it's only called that in Ireland - not sure what it's called over here (under EC legislation, probably something entirely factual but off-putting like "manky hippo-faced scruttock fish").

Pat and his not quite black and white cat

Mmmmm FOOOOD

It has to be a nice piece of Haddock with beer batter, fresh chips, pickled onions, tartare sauce, a little salt and nice malt vinegar. Served with a crusty fresh baked brea roll and a pint of real ale.

You can shove your peas where the sun don't shine... That's a valley in Slice, near Lancre for all you Pratchett fans

Bugger, I'm really hungry now. 😬 😬

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Don't think I have ever had Plaice'n'chips. Mmmm. Chips. Is tonight. Am v. excited as don't normally have such things. What a treat !!!

Am willing to bet the Irish "Long Ray" is yet another name for Rock Salmon, Rock Eel, Huss, Flake, Woof - a.k.a the dogfish *eek*

Same family as the skate, and yet is long.

being environmentally friendly I don't eat cod anymore, haddock is going the same way, so soon it will only be a choice of, well dogfish actually ☹️

Not that there is anything wrong with huss/rock salmon, quite nice in fact, but that's probably the Cornish blood in me showing through *wink*

all of a sudden my sarnies for lunch are looking inadequate

Caterham 21 VHPD *cool* - one of the few *thumbup*

If you want to eat cod, you'll have to emigrate to Spain ☹️

Some people in the fishing indusry are known to have 'bleached' coley to make it look more palatable 😳

Tofu 'n chips anyone 🤔

Ditto the strange names people give for a certain part of a (male) animal's anatomy when partaking of certain delicacies - but we quite happily eat prawn balls 😳 *eek* 😬

FH 😬

Edited by - fullharness on 7 Mar 2003 13:13:14

You can get gravy and chips in Wales too, first time I asked for it in Reading they looked at me as though I was mad!!! They offered me curry sauce instead..... Heathens....

You've never had gravy and chips until you've had gravy and chips from Caroline Street in Cardiff after a belly full of Brains Bitter on an International day.

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

Eye thang ewe Mr Noger *wink*

Just think, if I'd written that in "another place" I'd have been accused of hijacking. ☹️ Here, I get a nice grinny face from the thread's originator *thumbup*

Kev, I'm feeling ill now *eek* *tongue* Bitter made from brains must be really yucky - but at least you were on-topic with the off-topic deviation I set up *wink* *wink*

After all, if it's real ale, it probably does have some unidentifiable objects lurking in the vat during the brewing process 😬

FH

I've ended a few nights out in Scousepool with chips 'n gravy, but there were definitely no Brains in site 😳 *eek*

rather a lot of young ladies who appeared to have outgrown their clothes, but no brains 😬

Caterham 21 VHPD *cool* - one of the few *thumbup*