Click here if you are having website access problems ×

WANTED fitting instructions for Apollo anti cavitation air oil Seperator

Ralph45

OK, if I get bored tomorrow I'll go to the garage and take it apart and measure for you. Nothing promised yet. It depends on how the day evolves.

I am fairly certain the thread is the same for the fitting that goes in the top of the tank.

I'm ever grateful but please rj don't tear your car to bits just for me as I will soon have the measurements either way I decide to go with parts or a full kit from cc.

just a thought did you fit the cam cover part as std with Loctite or as some people have pm'd me reverse it so the nut can't come loose and drop inside?

Both. Only the paranoid survive.

That said, I'm going to strip the engine anyway as the cambelt snapped on the 28th October and it has at least bent valves. I didn't drive it myself and the guy who did thought it was something from the rear and tried to get it to the pit. 3 months old it was... So not even the paranoid does.

On Ring Knutstorp, Sweden. It was 30 minutes before the day ended, so not so bad.

It didn't sound well. Hopefully the head is not damaged. The rest was worn out anyway after 14k-ish track miles at full welly.

It had a habit of burning oil to the level where I was going to do something anyway. I have all the parts - Omega forged pistons, steel conrods and a brand new MG Motorsport block that was intended for a screamer that has now developed into a 1.9. This engine has survived so much abuse and always - since 2005 - been thought of as a temp. engine, so I think it has done well.

Excuse my ignorance but I didn't realise you where flying the Caterham flag in another country.

what type of circuit is ring Knutstorp ..techy ,fast flowing,flat or undulating I'm intrigued?

I know nothing of circuits outside the UK other than the usual suspects that include Spa, Assen old circuit,Zandvoort and Magny-cours 

Well, I'm Danish and I live in Hillerød, Denmark. We just don't have any circuits on the island and Ring Knutstorp is just 40 miles and 20mins of sailing from me, so I consider it to be my base.

I don't know what came first: The Seven or Ring Knutstorp, but they are built for each other. Challenging and fun. Certainly not flat.

This 

came in at 1:05:19 although I've cut it a bit short to see the actual time. It was 10 minutes before the engine exploded. Not me driving I was supposed to have taken over 15 mins later. The day started with snow and was extremely slippery - enough to have posed a "greatest spins" video.

I've just watched that over and over!,

what a circuit? and I mean good, l can see Oulten park down the start and in to the first sequence of corners as if dropping in to cascades then it becomes very  Donington park and almost immediately like Knockhill.

I'll be honest it's one of the most fun and readable circuits I've ever seen,when I say readable it gives good depth/distance perception on corner approaches rather like Cadwell Park,a circuit I set the fastest qualifying lap ever for a class B caterham, which I believe still stands as they dispanded the class a few years after I finished racing.

Looks as if it's quite grippy as well with no floaty, dancing with the steering wheel moments?

im envious and can only wish you well with a speedy rebuild to get back out.

im going to watch it some more.

Ditto, well cool RJ, not sure I can compare to Ralph's eductated

and clearly knowledgeable review, but my review, like many of a fast 7 lap with a screaming k is "it's makes me feel fizzy" which is very much a compliment. You should put some of your stuff on the L7C YouTube page so everyone can enjoy. I havent yet put any of my videos on there yet as only recorded on the road so far and I don't want to get any knocks on the door from the police (they may assume I was speeding as my car is quite noisy......)

Ralph,

Many call Ring Knutstorp the nicest Nordic circuit. As everywhere else there is a noise issue. Strictly 95dB! I am well under.

It was my mate driving, not me.

In the race line we got grip at the end of the day and this was (by 0.01S) the fastest lap we did this year. We because I let a mate drive the car as his own trackday toy has a broken gearbox. He's a better driver than I am. He has raced , which I never have. Without wanting to show off I think I'm better at setting up the car. Unfortunately I never made it to see if I could beat him as the engine expired. 

Don't worry, it'll be out again when next season starts in April. 

Paul,

Putting stuff on a public Youtube channel is very unlike me. Unless it's failures, that is.

Whilst it may be unlike you RJ, I suspect many people will very much enjoy like Ralph and I did (as much as I did enjoy your slithering around in the snow too) as well as getting sight of some interesting oversees tracks we may otherwise never see. I can whittle away many hours enjoying watching other people's successes as well as the less successful outings

Great thread and discussion chaps. We help another member (someone we don’t know) and then get an insight into rj’s screaming 7 and a nice trackday video. I enjoy seeing what 7s other people have, where they are and what they use them for. Good luck with the repairs rj, at least you have time before the Spring!

Ralph,

The thread measures 9.35mm outside (with a caliper) and the hose fits a 3/8" bake fitting.

Another thing is that if you feel like you can come over and abuse my car on the circuit on a trackday. You wouldn't be the first.

This, of course, requires that you'll fit in the seat and maybe that I clean up the adjustable runners.

I can put you up in my house for the night, pick you up in the airport (CPH) etc so it'll cost you the plane ticket and the trackday entry fee, which I presume is less than £250 even next year. Anything else I take care of. In the morning we are grouped, in the afternoon it's usually open pit lane. We don't race, but even if we do, it's like gentlemen where the slower let the faster pass. Simply about having fun. You may at times be asked to carry a passenger as we want to make the most fun to as many as possible. In the lunch break my 20yo nephew often drives the car with his grumpy uncle in the passenger seat to calm him down.

Thank you rj that is an incredibly generous offer and something I would dearly love to take you up on at some point.

You make the circuit sound very welcoming and as you say the drivers employ a gentlemanly style of track conduct which is of course the way it should be as we all have to go home when we've finished playing.Sounds a fantastic plan to really look forward to.

And as always another big thank you for the measurements, your relentless effort and time spent in helping me and others on the forum is invaluable ,and I'm sure I speak for all when saying your contributions and those of other members make this forum both interesting and educational not to mention make me laugh with the bit of humor thrown in for good measure.

Cheers *beer* 

*blush* But thank you Ralph. *beer*

Who am I, if I criticize the forum for not being as helpful as it used to without striving to do my best?

With regards to letting others have a go in my car, you'll not be the first. Even a guy working as a suspension engeneer for the flat red Sports-Fiats has come up form Italy to have a go. 

I have a Caterham because I love it and I like to share my passion with others. Quite simple and selfish.

I did a charity handling event at Rockingham this year (doing doughnuts and sliding it around) which was immensely fun and a great learning experience for me. A friend of mine who came down to help out (carrying fuel, tyres and what not - mainly a drinking buddy in the evening) went round with me a few times and really enjoyed it. I then let him have a go, his first time in a Caterham and he loved it. He couldn't quite get the hang of it not having driven a 7, a rear wheel drive car or on a track ever before, but boy was he smiling as he invariably went backwards!