Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Purple dry sump pump- tensioner

TomB

Evening all, 

Im doing a Cam Belt, alternator and dry sump belt change. My purple dry sump scavenge pump is till on it’s original tensioner, so it should be replaced ideally. I’ve seen a few threads about the replacing the gold pump tensioner bearing, but can’t find anything on the purple pump.

I had the pump rebuilt a few years ago, but this didn’t include the belt tensioner. Is this item serviceable, or a standard part like a power steering belt tensioner I can get off eBay? I can’t  see anything on Caterham parts website.

Hi RJ, I’m pretty sure it isn’t the same. The picture below is what CC have on their online store, but isn’t what I have on my engine. The one I’ve got has a bolt inn the centre of the wheel is I still manual adjusted with a threaded adjuster bolt.  I’ll try and remove it and upload a pic of what I have.

What I haven’t got:

IMG_20181116_214837.thumb.jpg.ab8c66aee1e394056068f18805ea283f.jpg

This system originally came with a purple pump; I have another system in the garage that came with the gold pump, which has never been fitted. ISTR that it came with an alloy pulley that was supposed to replace the plastic one shown in the picture. The tensioner itself is the same. There is difference in the diameter of the pump pulley for gold and purple pump.

The tensioner is an ordinary Rover item.

BE95B64F-23D8-4733-8477-3D1BC0FCFDA0.thumb.png.8181df18876b151a0793165c6dfe29bf.png

Bingo! Rover 400 power steering pump system! Therefore, my tensioner is the original one supplied when my engine was originally built as a 1.4 in the mid 90s. I retained it when I did  the 1.8 conversion, so it’s 57000miles/ 22 years old. It’s silent when it spins, turns smoothly and is probably the OEM bearing. Should I replace it?