Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fastening the gearbox mount bolts

Molecular--Bob

The fixing is caphead bolts with washers passing down through the chassis, and nyloc nuts and washers holding the box mount in place from underneath.  The capheads can turn as you tighten up the nylocs.  You need an Allen key socket and long extension bar that can pass down the spaces in the transmission tunnel to hold the capheads.

All done, if it has to come out again it will be going back in with cap heads. One side was easy thanks to the access hole on one side, but passenger side was torture. Ended up using a vortex socket, putting this on the nut from above and then clipping on the ratchet handle from underneath, then long breaker bar to hold the nut and tightened it two clicks at a time with the ratchet.

Reading this I cannot help but ask what chassis and gearbox is the issue related to? As there is a difference in access from an S3 to an SV. As The S3 is fully sheeted underneath an an SV is open

MY S3 is a pain but welded on all steal lock nuts worked and bolts from underneath.

Mine is S3, centre handbrake with tunnel open underneath.

My difficulty was getting a spanner onto the hex head of the bolt, which is sort of in a recess in the mount. As Shaun states easy with two people so person above can see the bolt and get a socket on long extension onto it. On mine, excess rubber on the mount also hinders matters.

With the cap heads its easier the insert the allan key when underneath the car so job becomes 1 person. Also, don’t need to remove tunnel top if just slackening mount to work on something eg speedo drive.

Hope that makes sense.

Ian

• Area Representative

I found the problem was getting spanner onto the hex bolts with the recess and all the muck and dirt that collected in the mount. When I last did it I used longer bolts and put a nut on next to the head. This made the hex head stand higher and much easier to access. Not sure about cap head bolts as muck may collect in them making it difficult to fit allen key  

Nuts welded to mount may be a good idea as long as holes in chassis are slotted to allow centralising of gearbox in tunnel.