Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Electric Fuel Pumps - Again!

mikes

I am soon to fit my 'refreshed' 1700 x/f and have decided to replace the fuel pump with the Facet solid state one. Don't bother telling me I should have got another type because I already have it!

The question is - where to site it near the tank. I have been shown (thanks Chris)that they seem to be usually fixed to the rear bulkhead - roughly behind where the passenger seat is. On my tank with the exit pipe at the top of the tank I reckon it would be a much straighter line if I fixed it to the underside of the boot, either to the ply or ali. It would be less than 12 inches above the bottom of the tank as stated in the instructions so should be OK. This would also mean much less fuel pipework in the area.

Any thoughts on this?

The other question is whether the earth is good enough by connecting to the mounting bracket if it is fixed to the ali panel?

Mike

Mike, is your pump the little square type or the cylindrical Gold/Silver version?.

I have a Facet Gold pump (cylindrical) which apparently can blow or suck equally well, and have therefore mounted mine on the engine bay bulkhead just behind the pedal box/brake master cylinder. It has worked well there for two years (Hope i'm not tempting fate here!), and has the advantage of being easily accessible for filter /power supply checking, and with only a small distance between the pump and a fused power supply under the dash. There was a question about underbonnet heat when placed in this position, but it's as far away from the exhaust and engine on the drivers side as you can get, and as I said I've had no problems. hope this is of use

Regards, Midnight

Midnight, thanks for that.

Yes it is the little square type. Certainly they say that it should be kept away from the heat of the engine bay and I will look again at the instructions to see if it sucks as well as it blows!From what I have read it can be pretty useful to have good access to some pumps as they can be unreliable.

Regards

Mike

All pumps blow much better than they suck. Some pumps can't suck at all and have to be fitted below the level of the fuel in the tank. Some can suck better than others but in general you will help the pump if you put it as near to the tank as possible and as low as possible.

I fitted my Facet Red Top, on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat, high enough up to keep it out of the cr*p that gets thrown up.

It works fine, I also fitted an inline filter before the pump, as well as the regulator in the engine bay. The pump is earthed to one of the rear cross members.