Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drive train overhaul

TomB

Morning,

Im planning a rebuild, potentially over this winter and into spring.  Aside from a respray, Id like to overhaul the drive train from the engine back as none of it has been out in approaching 60000 miles and 22 years.  

I know BGH, SPC or RRT can look at the gearbox and diff, but Id also like to get the prop and drive shafts checked and overhauled as necessary.  

Regarding the propshaft, Redline can provide the UJs and a quick look at Youtube suggests its not too difficult with a vice, sockets and circlip pliers.  Should I get the balance checked while its all apart?  Has anyone done this and can provide any thoughts?  

On the driveshafts, mine are the older de-dion with the smooth cans.  Redline used to, but don't now offer an overhaul service.  Can anyone point me in the right direction of some one who could do this, ideally post off-refit-return, or an exchange option.    

Thanks in advance.  

Ive made some call over lunch. It looks like the prop and diff are most straightforward, the drive shafts will be tricky and the gearbox options are mind/ wallet boggling! 

The prop is easiest, as I can buy the UJ kits from Redline and replace those on the bench at home with a vice and sockets, but that wouldn't include a balance check.  A local firm will overhaul & balance for £100+vat, or worst case build a new one for £150+vat. 

The 7 workshop and PGM have advised that driveshafts are not often rebuilt and usually replaced.  They also don't tend to fail, but I think I want to fully strip the car and get the GB, prop, diff & drive shafts overhauled.  The car is 22 years old and 60000 miles and they've never been out of the car.  Parts can be obtained from GKN but fitting them isn't straight forward. Mankee Cheng has pointed me to a firm in Gateshead who might be able to.  Im not sure if Im thinking about spending money unnecessarily though! 

The diff is straightforward for a check over/ refresh, SPC have said around £375+vat.  

The gearbox is a tricky one as there are so many options.  A minimal refresh and long first, through to full bespoke gear set which could easily be ~£1500.  Im wondering if it more cost effective to put a second hand 6 speeder in rather than rework the Type9 beyond a long 1st & rebuild.    

Im trying to put together a budget and plan for a rebuild and respray, without going too mad.  I don't think I will need a re-skin as I haven't any side skin bubbling or anything obvious underneath the skin.  

as above, the box is the 2.8 box with long input shaft and the ratios above.

A lot depends on wheel diameter, final drive ratio and what you are looking to achieve

I just got the tracsport 2.48, 1.61, 1.22, 1.00, 0.87, it's a thing of beauty

with a 3.91 final drive it gives me the same first ratio as the 2.67 first from the 6 speed with a 3.6 final drive

Thanks I had a chat with Steve earlier, then a look through his website.  It got me thinking, given a re-ratioed T9 with a Tracsport upgrade is at least £1500 by the time its built and with VAT, this is the price of a used Caterham 6 speed secondhand.  Steve said he is mainly selling gear kits these days and would recommend me someone to build it up.  

Ill have a play with Gearcalc - but main things are a 1.8k/150bhp/3.92 LSD/205-55-13 rear wheels.

I have pretty much the same as you, 1.8 k, roughly that hp, 3.9 diff, 13" rears with 205 cr500 tyres and 6 speed. I find it fine, acceleration is very good, probably cuts top end a bit and I suppose it's a bit revvy on the motorway. On the roads round my way and on track it's great though. 

That said a £1500 6 speed maybe fine or it may need £500 more spent. Hard to tell. A tracsport setup would be the best of both I expect as it's 4 fairly close gears then an overdrive when needed. 

I'd get one of those built into your box rather than risking a used unknown 6 speed tbh. 

Thanks all - its Malcolm who wins the prize for guessing my local propshaft speciliast! I spoke with them earlier in the week, so thats one thing sorted if and when I have the car in bits.

Id like someone local I can trust to refurbish the gearbox and maybe fit one of the SPC gear clusters. Any recommendation in the north? RR/BGH are a long way from Manchester! 

• 5 months later...

Did you end up getting your driveshafts refurbished Tom?  I've got the same older type as you and have noticeable play in the outer joint of one.  It seems pretty mad to have to scrap the whole driveshaft.  If you have any information on where I might get parts I'd be grateful if you could pass them on.