Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 speed gearbox - difficult shift from 1st to 2nd at high revs

clarkey

Hello

I have a 6 speed gearbox which was overhauled by Road and Race in 2013, about 6,000 miles ago.  A new R500 clutch was fitted at the same time.

When at high revs it is very hard to shift from 1st to 2nd - I pretty much have to shift to 3rd instead. It doesnt crunch, it just doesn't 'go in'.  Shifts at lower revs are fine, all other gears are fine regardless of revs, and 2nd is fine coming down the box.  it is just from 1st to 2nd at high revs.

The car is a 2002 Superlight R with about 210bhp.

Any ideas?  Thanks for your help!

Steve

In one of the brief conversations I had with Steve at SPC (:-o) he said that 2nd had a tolerance too tight on the shaft. This usually affected track cars when they got really hot - cannot remember what the symptoms were.

His fix was to hone the inner bore of the gear to a secret dimension!

Perhaps give him a call to discuss refurbishment, see what he recommends and try and glean the symptoms.

Ian

Sorry for all the duplicate posts, I'm not sure what happened there!

Jonathan, it does sound similar to that post.  I'll lubricate the change mechanism and change the oil first to see what that does.  It seems very odd - fine at (say) 5k rpm, but won't go in at 7.5k rpm.  I've clearly not tried it cold!!  Otherwise the gearbox is tremendous.

I had a new 6 speed supplied with my kit, which was always difficult to get into 2nd when cold, and would lock you out of all gears if you attempted an up change at 7.5 rpm, but was fine at lower rpm.  After a few seconds you will then be able to select a gear as normal.   I lived with the could not get 2nd when cold, and didn't realise I had a problem until it was run in, so it wasn't until the car was 6 months before the gearbox was rebuilt under warranty.    When it was rebuilt 3rd gear was replaced and all bulk rings where replaced, its been fine since.