Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front Lower Wishbone washer configuration

CtrMint

Hi All,

I've finally got my kit 420R, and started the process of building, all is going well, however I'm unsure what to do with the front lower wishbone washer setup so thought I'd turn to the forum for support, hope you don't mind especially at this early stage.

I received the new style manual only, and it shows the wishbone and washers quite clearly, but makes no reference of differences between narrow or wide track car.  The older assembly guide from 2015 clearly states.

On wide track models there should be no washers between the front mount and the chassis and 4 washers between the chassis tube and the rear mount of the lower wishbone.

Given my 420R S3 is wide track I'm not sure what to do.  I understand the difference impacts the caster on the car, but I just want the most appropriate configuration intend by Caterham, this isn't a race car.*tongue*

Am I supposed to ignore the 2015 guide, just go with the new manual, given that's all that was supplied?

Help and advice would be really appreciated.  Thanks.

Welcome aboard, *wavey* 

What part of the world are you in..?

4-0-4-0 (from the rear) will offer maximum castor, slightly heavier steering, most positive self centreing effect, however the most control on tight corners due to the effect on camber and  the unweighting effect too,

you can also run with    3-1-3-1  or 2-2-2-2, if the car is for road try the later to start with as its an easy job to alter.

Mmmm, mine failed first time, the steering stiffness was caused by the track rod ends, brand new but rock solid.  I replaced them, made sure that the column tube was a smooth fit in the bushes and gave it a shot of silicone spray.  I set the castor to max and it sailed through the retest then I gave it a full chassis set up.