Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Need some technical help (K-Series)

Iortz

Hello Everybody!!!

Im Jorge from Spain again.

First of all sorry about my poor English,apart from Netflix im not very use to use it...

I have a 1.6 k series 7 from 1998 and have some troubles with it again..

1. The speedometer do not work properly it gives the speed but the "mileage" do not rise. I have took out the speedometer cable and seems to work correctly.However i hope i can find a new one to change it, it have make it years ago and changing it was enough, but it was broken. So, could it be the speedometer itself?
  2. The last year thanks to the forum i remake the cooling system and works fantastic!!! But now i have problems with te expansion tank cap, my father took it to a trip and does not know why, but the expansion cap blowed off. I have put one spare that have from my mini but they use to blow off. It keeps miles and miles without any trouble, but what is the proper expansion tank cap that should i use? and otherwise  in the mini i changed th expansion tank for a metallic one with a metallic expansion tank cap and does not give me any trouble till then. Is there anything like that for the seven, just to ensure that will not happened anymore..
  3. Have also problems with the ribbets of the low zone of the drivers side from while to while they blow off and lets the floor fall a bit, it is some way to reinforce the zone?

Thank you very much any advice is very appreciated!!

JORGE

• Area Representative

Jorge I understand that in (3) you mean that the floor pan rivets attaching the floor to the chassis rail are falling out ?

If so then it is likely the rivet holes are elongated & the rivets have worn themselves out of the holes. You will need to go to the next rivet size up in either steel, *monel or aluminium. Standard pop rivets are made from *monel or aluminium. You may find steel pops harder to form but they are a good solution to vibration & hole elongation. 

*Monel rivets are based on a nickel mix including copper & iron which are used in certain tertiary aircraft structures & other similar applications.

Hello everybody!!

Thanks to all of you!! sorry again about my English. This morning i have rise the rear of the car here is the photo:

ws.jpg.311092f671b31b3dd9cbc25b2a0f31c5.jpg

It seemed better yesterday, not today...have almost 14 rivets blowed off, plus come of them closer that will also change no ensure the zone is correct.I  have spare ribbons, but aluminum 5mm ribbons. As i have read the posts, i will get steel ones and oversized. And check the corrosion in the frame.

Im sorry but don't understand very well whose are better monel or steel?

By the other side:

I can´t see the link of the new speedometers,but repairing it sound very well. I have a clock in the mini that doesn't work properly and didn't find a place to repair it. So im thinking in sending both the speedometer and the clock.

Also thanks for the link of the cap!!

Thank you very much!!I will post as I mend the car, probably not until Monday.

JORGE

Jorge, re your photo.  I have not seen this problem before but maybe others have and can give advise.  Given the number of rivets in the problem area the failure is surprising to me.  Maybe your passenger needs to loose some weight : )

As has been suggested before, the problem could simply be poor rivet material that has failed over time and replacing them with steel rivets will be more durable. 

From the photo it looks to me that the rivets are still OK into the chassis holes.  It is the holes in the floor that are pulling off the part of the rivet that is nearest the road (the "rivet head"). This could happen if the diameter of the holes in your floor are larger than the diameter of the same holes in the chassis.  If this is the case you may need to get rivets that have a bigger size head or use stainless steel washers to give more support between the rivet head and the floor.

Upssss...after reading what Jorge said and watched the photo, I went to my garage and checked the floor panels and it happens the same to my car, there are about six rivets coming out of the frame in the same point that it´s happening to Jorge´s car; it's also in the left hand floor panel, my car is LHD, but I know the owners of the car since it was going out from factory and none of them are more than 176 pounds weight. My car is also a 1.6 k series, as Jorge's one, mine is from late 2003 and low mileage, so I don't know why it's happening; I will fix new steel rivets.

This morning I fixed the problem at my car, I went to Leroy Merlin and bought stainless steel rivets, specially for boats, it's written they resist 660 pounds weight (now I can eat whatever I want that the new rivets won't break again *nuts**burger* ).

I put a new  silicon string between the floor panel and the frame, then used a hydraulic jack with a piece of wood to fix the panel floor to the frame and put the new stainless steel rivets.

Enjoy the sunny weekend (at least in Spain) with your Caterhams.

Hello Everybody!!

I have progress this morning because , i had a busy weekend..This morning i have put all the ribbons in place as you said the bigger they keep with a spanner, they feated perfectly sorry about my English..200kg ribbons so i also don't have to worry about my weight anymore, as paisesmediterraneos said.. have also took off the speedometer and the clock out and they are caerbont both of them, its a rover mini from 1999.

during this afternoon i hope i can contact with the boys who can mend it and hope to send both of them during this week.

Thank you very very much to all of you!!

I will post with as the reparation goes on!!

Hi Stu!!

It,s a mpi from 1999, i think its a sportpack but i don´t have it very clear, i buy it from second hand and it´s a bit frankenstein...good to know you have one!!it gives more problems than the seven!!fortunately it´s taking a while without any, so maybe a big one is coming... XP

JORGE

• Leadership Team

The Sportspack had the big arches and 13" wheels, also 3 auxiliary gauges on the dashboard, I'm not sure if there's a way to find out what the car was originally.

Mine is a non-Sportspack Cooper originally built for export to Japan ... the Japanese Minis all had air-con *beer* 12" wheels though and the small black wheels arches. I've only had it a few months and it's getting far more attention than the Caterham! It's a nice original car though.

Stu.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody!!

Have lots of work lastest weeks and have been stopped.the gauges are in travel to repair so its time to wait untill is done.

About the mini have only a clock in the center, the archs are from the color of the car an 13' wheels, i really dont know what they have done with the car the previous owner...

Thank you very much everybody!!!!!