Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Irritating vibration/rattle

Johnny B

My VVC suffers from a rather annoying vibration /rattle in the 2000-2500 rev range.It seems to be coming up through the bonnet and have tried fiddling with the catches ,but to no avail .Not the worst problem in the world but apart from the obvious does any one know a goood way to solve the problem ?

Aha! The old 'chase the rattle' game. Well, there could be infinite reasons for this, but a second opinion from the passenger side can sometimes help. I had a rattle that I thought was coming from the underside of the dash & it turned out to be the side skin vibrating against the chassis (side) uprights!!!!

Good Luck thumbsup.gif

Check the exhaust heatshield - mine rattles a bit but that's 'cos the welds have gone. As it's not likely to fly off, I've left it as it is. Took a while to find where the noise was coming from. It's worst at idle so I just blip the throttle!

Probably a good idea to track it down and then decide whether to ignore it or not as might be something important coming loose...

Piers

I had a rattling throttle cable as well, I also had a rattle from the front cover of the heater, once I got those sorted I found the rattling handbrake cable that cleared the audio passage to the rattling "boot" base, which then exposed the rattling fuel line. I'm still looking for that little devil that appears at 3oo5 r.p.m on 30 deg. rht handers.

An 'friend' once described the V/X Seven as "rattling like a bag of nails". Is this what you mean Alex?

Having driven mine to the club meeting with the hood up (YES, up; it was minus 18c after all!), I was reminded how noisy,'rattly' and generally 'different they are in that mode. It's been a long time with the hood rolled away!!!!!!!!

Chris,

I can't believe that anyone as dedicated as you are to 7ening would put the roof up because of the temperature! I've had my 7 for 20 months and have put the roof up 3 times, each time because of torrential rain. IMHO a 7 is a death trap in the wet with the top up, ie. no vision to left, right or rear. Buy a wooly hat and a pair of gloves.

GC

I also chatted with a chap at Goodwood who said that he never put the roof up on his MG as he could hear all the noises coming from the diff. I know how he feels!

Edited by - excess baggage on 18 Dec 2000 00:53:29

For what it's worth,I had a rattle from "underneath somewhere" that took me over a year to find. It turned out to be the bolts that connect the windscreen wipers to the wiper rod underneath the dash. They're a right pain to get to as their buried up underneath all the wire. Happy Hunting!

If your battery tray is relocated above the passenger footwell, check the locating rivets. Mine came loose and revealed the rattle I had been chasing for 6 months. With the hood up forget it, everything rattles, just push the ear plugs in a bit further!!