Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OT - Golf GTI...washer fluid....

GPBox

2018 Golf GTI,  6 months old, for last month warning light telling me washer fluid is low has been on....even though bottle is full..been using Rainex washer addative (pretty much since new)...

decided to take to VW dealer..dropped off today..

VW called...problem all fixed..issue was: The car monitors the 'resistance' of the water, because I was not using VW washer addative, system detected a problem..hence the light came on.

They have now refilled using VW addative...light is off....problem resolved..

they kindly mentioned I should go back in when I need more addative !!!...hmmm.

this sounds like BS to me...suspect a simple level sensor not working..and the problem will comeback (hopefully not !)

anyone come across this before ???...going to double check when I pick up car later...

These sensors have two prongs (electrodes) sticking out into fluid (i.e. the washer fluid here, but also works for other types of fluid) and the change in the circuit (usually capacitance) as a result of the fluid level getting low and the prongs now being in air tells the car that the level is low. It can also be a pair of metallic strips stuck up the side of the reservoir.

Additives like RainEx necessarily have different electrical properties for them to work and/or stick to the prongs and confuse the control system.

I’ve used VW stuff for years and really rate it. I’ll dig out the code/price for 5L concentrate later. I use 1:5 in summer and 2:5 in winter.

On Briskoda there was talk of dealers refusing warranty claims on Fabias if non VW washer fluid used - there was a joint in the tubing under the back that used to pop undone due to ‘freezing’ allegedly! Which made the carpets sodden.

Quantum is their cheaper approved brand which is also good. I use Quantum long life oil in our Skodas.

Ian

As per Ian's post the VW one is great but I've not had the issue of light on with other additives.

The warranty is correct. The pipe coming off at a join in the boot and popping off. I had it with my Octavia when we had -18. The VW is rated for about -70. Easy enough to pop the pipe back on and fill with concentrate.

Rain-X is particularly bad for coating the resistive or capacitive level probes and causing them to give false low readings. This has been reported across all car manufacturers who use that type of level sensor, easy to find in many car forums. In the US there is a class action lawsuit regarding this: https://www.girardgibbs.com/rain-x-sensor-lights-investigation/

Other level sensors could also exhibit this problem, for example it seems that coolant level sensors in some BMWs could be affected, most likely due to reservoirs being topped up with the wrong antifreeze, that then builds up a film on the sensor and causes it to give a false "low coolant" warning.

I used to have a BMW 318iS, I used standard non-BMW screen wash which eventually dissolved some plastic parts of the washer system, when I quizzed the Stealers about it I was told “I wasn’t using the ‘Genuine’ screenwash was I?”...pardon? ISTR their own stuff is high alcohol low detergent whereas Halfords stuff is the opposite. The other side effect of the blue screen wash you can buy almost anywhere is the buildup of a snot like substance in the tank if not used for ages which eventually clogs the pump, pipework and nozzles. I found the genuine screen wash wasn’t that expensive but the biggest pain was that you had to go specifically to them to buy it rather than just about anywhere else that sells the blue stuff.