Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Proper Differential Gear Oil for Sevens in America

bcrain

I have looked through the many posts on the proper gear oil to use and whine problems. I have not seen comments on the best oil for cars that are in the US. Different products are available here. My 1988 Di Dion seven says Spirax 95/140 on the chassis plate. That is a Shell product unavailable to my knowledge in the US.

Hey all you yanks out there, what do you use? Would Valvo line  85W140 be OK?

• Area Representative

If the final drive is Sierra then: standard diff - any good 80w/90. If LSD - Castrol 373 comes highly recommended.

70w/140 or 80w/140 is good for shock absorption & lowering noise but as far as I know is not a recommended lubricant for Sierra diffs. Most of these spec products are for LSDs.

Castrol Syntrax LSD 70w/140 is recommended by Castrol for the BMW LSD. I put it in my BMW LSD & the change was miraculous. 

You can test if it's open or a traditional LSD by jacking up the rear wheels, turning one and watching the other.

Or by looking through the hole with a driveshaft out.

But if you don't know that it's anything else the year and specification strongly suggest that it's an open Sierra final drive.

If you would like the appropriate Assembly Guide please send me a Private Mail with your email address.

Jonathan

Based on the year I should have a Sierra and it tested as NOT LSD. One of the Caterham dealers in the US who also does a lot of racing returned my call and recommended Mobil 1 75w-140 for maximum gear protection or the same in 75w-90 for slightly more horsepower due to reduced parasitic drag. I'm going with 75w-140 for now. I'll plan or reporting back after my excursion to the northern NM mountains in a couple of weeks.

• Area Representative

Empty & refill. Oils can be incompatible which will reduce the effectiveness of the new oil leading to problems in the Diff. 

My experience has found that with LSD oil it is also best to drain & refill regularly....about every two to four years depending on mileage/thrashing as the oil goes really black & appears to change it's viscosity.