Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wheels (balance weights) fouling DeDion ears

Nick Bassett

• Area Representative

The other weekend I fitted my SLR wheels after only having 13" Superlight wheels fitted previously.

On my first drive I could hear a ticking noise from the nearside rear, but assumed a stone had got stuck in my new sticky tyres. However the sound didn't go away...

Removing the wheel yesterday, I have discovered that the flat balance weights are just 'kissing' the end of the De Dions ears ever so slightly, causing a ticking noise.

So, what options are open to me?

1. Get wheel rebalanced with weights further inside rim

2. File a few mm off the back of the ears - is this possible?

3. Anything else?

I'm sure this is something I've seen others post before, but the search function just threw up a load of gobbleaduke!

Thanks

Nick

When I fitted the SLR wheels to my 1996 de-dion, I had to grind a few mm off the de-dion ear.  Its a well known problem with these wheels on older de-dions.  However as yours is an original SLR, you'd like to think they would fit! 

There isn't much clearance on mine, so I put a ring of insulation tape on the wheels and asked the tyre fitter not to fit weights in that area.  I think he fitted the ones that clip onto the edge of the wheel, on the inside edge so they are not visible from outside.  

If the tyres still have yellow or red dots on the sidewalls ... you can reduce the amount of balance weights required .... yellow Dot next to valve .... or red dot 180 degrees opposite valve. Made a huge difference on my rims ... almost no weights needed.

I had the same issue yesterday after getting the rims balanced the rear wheels jammed up on the inside weights, so I asked the shop to move the weights further in I was told a tire is balanced using weights inside and outside the rim so if I moved the weights in the tire will not balance correctly.

Unfortunately my rims will not accept clip on rim weights so last night I tried to grind down the axle tubes but not much success (still rubbing).

So I am moving the rims out 1/4" using these 

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsPageCmd?Ntt=555-65075&requestYear=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&year=&make=&model=&submodel=&engine=&Nrpp=&No=&persistYmm=false

I will let you know how it works out

• Leadership Team

You should never use clip on weights on alloy rims unless you don't give a s**t about corrosion, always stick-ons.

The area where the de-dion tube restricts the fitting of weights is quite a narrow band, simply mark it with a pen or add a little masking tape as an identifier for whoever is balancing the wheels and they'll avoid that area. Likewise there is no need to add weights to the outside of the rim, all weights can be on the inside out of view. If the so called technician can't cope with that, go and find someone/somewhere else to balance your wheels.

Also worth a mention is that with the 5-spoke SLR rims, if it seems there's a lot of weight needed it might be that the outer rim and wheel centre could be better assembled in a different orientation, it might be worth the balance of the wheel being checked before the tire is fitted. I have various sets of the 5-spoke SLR rims and they've all been balanced fine with the weights clear of the de-dion tube.

Stu. 

There’s no reason why a ‘clip on’ weight can’t be used on an alloy wheel. Plenty of OE wheels still use them. 

‘Knock on’ weights are a no-no, of course and maybe this is what is meant. 

However, it’s not at all certain that the profile of the Caterham wheels is suitable for a clip on weight and all those I’ve seen have had adhesive weights fitted. 

With the DD ear fouling problem the solution is clear. The inner weights need to be fitted about 40/45mm in from the edge of the rim. 

It’s perfectly possible to balance rims dynamically with the weights in this position; any balancer with a shift plane capability allows the operator to programme the position for each weight. Most decent balancers have that facility. Another advantage of using that programme is the position where the weight is going will be automatically adjusted to use exact weights (10/15/20 etc) still giving a zero threshold balance. 

Frankly, if your tyre fitter’s machine doesn’t have that capability, I’d be going elsewhere. I have a balancer in my garage at home that is about 10 years old and it’s got it. 

Brightonuk, that’s really not a good idea. 

There is no problem at all in balancing wheels with the weights far enough in to clear the ear. And not by doing a static balance, it can easily be done dynamically

Fitting spacers isn’t a solution, it’s just masking the problem. 

Whereabouts are you, if you’re close to me I’d be happy to do them for you. I’m east of Norwich. If your username’s anything to go by maybe not!