Click here if you are having website access problems ×

heavy oil mist from throttle body "K"

manningpaul

• Area Representative

Coming back from Birmingham Sunday noticed a small amount of smoke from the bonnet vents when stopped at traffic lights just before getting home.

On inspection the foam filter is soaked with oil and despite the engine running oil smoke is coming out of the inlet. The same happens when the dipstick is taken out.

No noticable loss of power but guessing at best it is a head off job or engine rebuild (it has done just shy of 88,000 miles)

Or time to go R300 power!! *nono*

Maybe not as bad as I thought then,

I'm not so sure about that. If I were you I'd do (or have done) at the very least a compression test for some insight (literally). It only takes a few minutes and isn't complicated. In fact if doing it myself I'd do compression test (check you are doing it right, I wasn't), if someone else then leak down because they will have the equipment.

Anthony

• Area Representative
Haven't driven it since, hopefully some time on Sunday to investigate further. Just hope it won't have scored the liner if piston ring is the problem. Almost like having a cross flow again!!

If you are to take out the piston, then also removing the liner is not a problem. If the engine is sat at 90deg ATDC you can remove the conrod bolts from underneath with the engine in the car. You need, of course, to remove the sump and the oil ladder, but swopping pistons, liners and re-assembly of the engine is not a whole-day job.

• Area Representative

Compression test done

No 1 50

No 2 250, 120 second time

No 3 35

No 4 250, 110 second time

No's 1 and 3 remained fairly constant in subsequent tests.

Busy the rest of this week but hopefully can get some time next week to sort this out. Thanks for the help chaps.

Highly likely to be broken pistons.

If this is the case I would replace with TF160 or forged pistons and fit them fully floating by either bushing the small end of the rods , or reaming and honing them. If you use Omega pistons they will need skimming by approx 1mm to clear the head. If you want to fit TF160 pistons fully floating they will need to have circlip grooves machined and the pins shortened to suit.

Oily