Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lotus Twinks - What are they worth?

J.R.

A friend and I each have Lotus twin cam engines which we are considering selling, does anyone have any realistic ideas what they are worth?.

Both are L blocks

One has modified cams etc and is still in car (W*******d)

One is standard engine with all ancillaries to refit in Caterham, mounts, exhaust etc.

And to add variety a 3rd engine is from my Elan and has the Stromberg head.

Maybe this should be posted on the for sale board but we want to get some idea of current value. - anybody bought or sold one recently?

Edited by - J.R. on 12 Dec 2000 17:46:46

I used to have lots of Elans, so I know the twin-cam unit.

Basically a knackered T/C engine is worth 750 quid, probably more.

A fully re-build unit is more like 3.5k + , however to get that money the engine would have had to be re-built by a well known, someone like Mick Miller (01728-603307), stromberg units are less money cos' everyone want webbers, best place to advertise them is in the club lotus news (01362-696696), you shoudn't have a shortage of buyers.

Just to confuse the situation, QED are re-making the T/C head complete with valves etc: for ....... 3000 pounds !

I once sold a knackered (crashed, required new body/chassis etc:) to a dealer for 1500 quid just because he wanted the engine !

Silly question, buy why are you thinking of selling the engine from your elan ? Are you going to sell the elan also ?

Pete

Pete

The webered T/C is from my 2nd caterham which I am the process of blackbirding.

I either sell the T/C or put it in the elan (next project) in place of stromberg unit then sell the stromberg engine.

OR...... be very rash & convert the elan to zetec power, MT75 box, sierra diff etc.

Or then again I could always leave the garage full of spare engines gathering dust - currently one supersprint x/flow. one 1800 zetec, one lotus T/C and one blackbird

My mate wants to sell the T/C and fit a zetec in its place

A colleague just bought 3 complete engines for £2000. They will all need as re-build but they are basically sound.

I just paid about £4.5k for a dyno run 160BHP engine from a repected builder.

I would think that a good used engine that can be demonstrated in the car should be worth £1500/£2000

Dealers tend to try to pay about £500 regardless.

Do you know the capacity of the engines and if the blocks are LA, LAA or LB as this will make some difference to value.

I think 6 bolt crank engines are also worth a little more than 4 bolt.

I have a very good 1800 Zetec if your colleague is interested in a P-X for the engine that needs a re-build.

Fast Westie

Two fiat twin cams? I reckon they are worth a cup of tea and a bun each. If you manage to sell them for more than I paid for the engine crane we shunted them with I will give you ....... a cup of tea and a bun!

Hi Chris H.

Fraid youve got the wrong fast westie!

Come along to the hillclimb in France next August, show a few more of us what can be done with a 1600 x/flow & you will be able to see whats in his barn. Pretty much like the one in Sussex.

Hope to see you over xmas

J.R.