Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fitting rear wheel hubs

ssweet1970

Hi All

I’m new to the forum so please bear with me if i’m Posting incorrectly!

I am building a 360S and am really struggling to get the rear drivers side hub bearing onto the drive shaft.  The near side slipped on easily so can’t understand the issue.  This is a replacement bearing as whilst attempting to fit the first one, I got it stuck about 5mm on to the shaft.  I then tried tapping it off with a rubber mallet (I know!! Never hit a bearing with a hammer) and split the bearing.  The replacement is equally tight which leads me to think that there may be an issue with the drive shaft?  Does anyone have any advice on the best way to get the bearing on or has anyone else had similar issues?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sean

Welcome!

Given that the original and replacement hubs behave the same way, it looks like there's a fault with the driveshaft itself.  This could be a manufacturing tolerance issue or slight damage to the splines.  The hub should slide on freely.

I would suggest that you hold fire on the assembly and contact Caterham (you should have been given a contact name/number for kit queries and support).  They'll likely send you a replacement driveshaft.

JV

Hi

Yes. That sounds quite similar although i didn’t use the hub nut to try and seat it as it was immediately too tight.  Looks like I may need Derek at Caterham to send me a new drive shaft.  Many thanks to all who posted.  I thought it was me doing something stupid!

Sean

I strongly suspect the driveshaft is the problem. When building my Seven in 2011, the offside driveshaft fitted beautifully into the diff from both sides, but the nearside shaft wouldn't go in more than a quarter of the way. A replacement was just like the offside shaft so there was definitely a problem with the splined end of the original nearside shaft. I am so glad I didn't just force it in, because goodness only knows how I'd have got it out again!

Duncan

Hi All

As expected the drive shaft was the problem.  Caterham supplied a replacement shaft and the bearing slid on perfectly.  Derek did note that they have had a few rogue drive shafts in the past and I am sending this one back to them so they can take it up with the supplier.

Thanks for everyone’s input.  It was much appreciated.

Sean