Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Torrential downpour protection?

anthonym

It's hissing down here, I'm snug in my glamp. The rain comes and goes (this is Southern French PreAlps I saw the region called the other day - so there's no tree line, everything is nice and green). Now when it "comes", grief does it arrive. (Thankfully not like those golf balls told about during the Portugal visit, though maybe my musing question here may (may) be relevant to that). 

A few weeks back I got totally drenched twice crossing two Cols, de la Madelaine and Glandon on my way home. It took days to dry out every imaginable thing that I thought would not get wet. 

That rain: torrents on the road, could not do more that about 20mph. I'd have stopped if I found anywhere remotely (and boy it was remote) less exposed than when moving. When I stopped I got even more wet. Half hood did what it does, but there are limits. Half doors as well I should mention: water injects round the sides a bit and my right shoulder gets wet which leads to the rest of me. 

I did make a mistake in that when I fitted the  half hood in gentle rain, I should have donned my "emergencies" ski jacket; didn't. So that was sopping too by the time I put it on, far too late at Megeve MacDonalds.

So then, having painted the pictures, as I was driving (a loose description) along I mostly feared a break-down (thankfully this was all before the recent multiple break downs.) and so being helpless in that alpine weather. 

Question is: WHAT can one carry by way of emergency shelter?

It has to pack down to practically nothing of course. A huge tarp would be nice to hide everything under, but not practical to carry.

Engine off and engine on are parameters. A space blanket is on my list anyway, for self preservation warmth. 

I do carry a SBFS's "storm cover" and a shower cap and of course the half hood and the original tonneau. Funny how tonneau ends in eau. The storm cover is tempting, but there is no view of the outside world at all. I suppose if really desperate one could fit and climb in - and be totally soaked in the process so warmth becomes the more important.

It was nice weather when I headed out. 

So anyway, I am curious if anyone has any ideas, silly or otherwise for a technical solution to storm protection - the other place this happens is on motorways (not least Italian in my wet experience) which is dangerous for different obvious reasons. 

During all this the car performed impeccably. 

It's like sailing, we don't go out in to a storm, but should be prepared for one.

I have wondered about that gossamer thin sort of polythene like material used to cover furniture in storage. Tiny size expands to vastness. Bit fragile maybe.

signing off amidst lightning flashes.. and distant thunder, little rain now.

Anthony (dry and snug, seven in trailer also dry and snug, and working thanks to blatchat)

I'm now Aero and had toyed with the idea of making a kind of kayak spray deck for SWMBO to keep her toasty, with a little creatively around the steering wheel this could be made for the driver too.

If your running a screen you'll be hard pushed to beat a SBF7's half hood, with the zip off back that Nick made for me many moons back.

yes the kind of conditions I'm talking about I REALLY want to stop and hide, car and all, but be able to see what's going on - hence using the storm cover, but would get drenched putting it on and can't see out at all. Maybe a bigger brolly.

Concept is like those survival "bags" for use in the mountains etc. I wonder: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenflyer-Emergency-Survival-Emergencies-Sporting/dp/B073W712NJ

​I'd say over the last 15 years there have been maybe six occasions when I wanted such a thing, to cover both car and me, one occasion it was just the car and then the storm cover would have done - the car wasn't right for weeks after that Norwegian downpour in a ferry queue. Other times have been Italian motorways (twice I think), the other day and others that might come to me. It may be that with aero and crash helmet the vision issue isn't a problem (where the windscreen is simply awash and it's impossible to see), though I doubt even then driving in running road water is going to be fun.

I've long wondered about some sort of "spray deck", for me as well, that also covers the boot and perhaps myself. I don't mind getting wet, it's part of the joy really, but being cold and wet for long periods (hours) in trying conditions (survival) is not good for my health. 

Maybe just  a car cover with see through bits, but one that's waterproof (mine isn't).

@jk not really separate, that would be easy, this is one-covers-all, fast. My desire is to be static, but not make things worse. Now if I could make a brew so much the better, which means accessing the Rebag.

Anthony

p.s. I have used trees, but in lightning storms I get nervous and tarry not too long.

Thanks. Lots of opportunities to borrow ideas and products from other sectors, although of course small packed volume is more important than mass in your case.

Protecting yourself

1. Biker gear as above, but probably waterproof "outers" rather than "leathers".
  2. Walking gear: I currently use a very thin Gore-Tex uninsulated outer jacket and non-breathable uninsulated outer trousers.
  3. Cycling jacket: flexible, high-visibility (so you don't need to carry another one in France), often have good ventilation, and long-backed.
  4. Space blankets are only effective (on Earth) if you don't move and disturb the layer of trapped air or actively heat it. I'd suggest walking gear instead, and probably multilayered. There's lots of 12V heated clothing available but you probably don't need to get into that, and you'd have to keep your engine (and fuel pump!) running.

Protecting the Seven

1. Things like hoods: as above, but I think you're making this a lot harder by using half-doors.
  2. Things like tarps: in the backpacking world these can pack very small, even if you don't need to get into the ultralight world. But you'll need something like a pole or a rope and somewhere to tie the other end, as with that "survival bag". (Which I wouldn't touch with any sort of pole!) It's quite likely that there'd be a sign with a pole or something where you pull off, but you won't know in advance! This would also allow cooking. :-)
  3. "Maybe just a car cover with see through bits, but one that's waterproof... ". Yes, but you'll also need to get in and out...

Jonathan

"Thanks." - and thanks for so many thoughts, I'll wander my way through them (not much to do here just now). An overall "constraint" is that I am in the car, driving, half hood is on, ski-jacket is on (me) and we are generally as "battened down" as it is possible to be (shower cap in use as a cover over stuff in the passenger side and sometimes the tonneau also fitted (that's when I start thinking about "spray deck" ideas for me, something to extend over the boot and, me but allow me to see and drive).

"Lots of opportunities to borrow ideas and products from other sectors, although of course small packed volume is more important than mass in your case."

Yes, I always enjoy exploring cross use of kit. Usually end up with mountain walking gear.

edit: rereading this, my real concern is in these conditions to cover the engine slats. That might be achievable separately - after that Norway experience I worry about water pouring over the electrics. Indeed someone might be along with an ice-cream box suggestion. I fear that if I stop, the rain will not flow rearwards and off the car (and much of the time on to me because the bulkhead leaks, but I'm wearing shorts so not much bothered, except when it's oil..), but downwards through the engine and thus the electrics.

Protecting yourself

Biker gear as above, but probably waterproof "outers" rather than "leathers".
Walking gear: I currently use a very thin Gore-Tex uninsulated outer jacket and non-breathable uninsulated outer trousers.
Cycling jacket: flexible, high-visibility (so you don't need to carry another one in France), often have good ventilation, and long-backed.
Space blankets are only effective (on Earth) if you don't move and disturb the layer of trapped air or actively heat it. I'd suggest walking gear instead, and probably multilayered. There's lots of 12V heated clothing available but you probably don't need to get into that, and you'd have to keep your engine (and fuel pump!) running.

I have "all that", as you might imagine having evolved over the years. The practical problem is that if I have not put it on BEFORE the downpour, I can't put it on without getting soaked. Bear in mind this is an S3 with Tillets. There's no room to move. The gear I use is indeed mostly mountain walking gear, layers of. 99% of the time I wear shorts, engine heat does the rest. My top half can run to the ski jacket because it's insulated and waterproof and designed for survival. I have various layers of long trousers from thin but waterproof to etc etc edit: I was amazed how long/far it was with no cover at all. Just nothing/nada/zilch.

Ironically I used to explore the 12v cooling clothing, before using the half doors. Of course full doors and hood would deal with much of this, but even they would not manage the driving conditions which really demand I stop. Shame the cameras weren't running, but I doubt much would be possible to see. 

Protecting the Seven

Things like hoods: as above,

"but I think you're making this a lot harder by using half-doors."

The half doors are after many years of chat on here and trying all sorts, the only solution that works to keep the cockpit temperature viable for a human, and even then only the driver, after 20 minutes the passenger side is not viable for a person - unless she rests her feet on the "dashboard" (which (amazes me) she does, but not happy with that as a touring requirement). I have yet to try the more recent idea of that ceramic coating on the primaries, but need to be in GB long enough for that and take the car to bits etc Also I have paused for thought because I have read that this coating is better applied to brand new primaries before any sign of age (rust/corropsiion) starts.

"Things like tarps: in the backpacking world these can pack very small, even if you don't need to get into the ultralight world. But you'll need something like a pole or a rope and somewhere to tie the other end, as with that "survival bag".

I'll have a look at those again, never thought about ultralight tarps. We do of course have the brolly as a potential pole, but I was just going to drape it over everything - exhaust heat damage being the problem; I suppose fire blanket (that I carry) may be useful there.

"(Which I wouldn't touch with any sort of pole!) "

Why? IF it costs only a few quid it only has to last for one use in extreme circumstances. Bear in mind I am describing times when I feel a survival threat to my self. That's happened only say five or six times in fifteen years or so in most of the mountain ranges in Europe, or perversely a couple of motorways which I rarely use - oddly one was Belgian, I thought "this storm can't last that long" the answer was an unpleasant 90 miles.. These are not the average. 

"It's quite likely that there'd be a sign with a pole or something where you pull off, but you won't know in advance! This would also allow cooking. :-)"

Good idea, road signs etc. But again not a necessity. 
"Maybe just a car cover with see through bits, but one that's waterproof... ". Yes, but you'll also need to get in and out...

I suppose it depends how tight the fit. 

Someone suggested a "7 event tent" - not serious sure, but many a true word. I recall staying in a hotel with no covered parking. It was chucking it down for my departure (though nothing like the subject of this thread) and by the time I had packed the car everything and me was sopping wet. I drove away dreaming of those tents.

Anthony

edit: https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/flat-tarp.html?avad=180150_e12f90365 park exhaust side away from storm direction, using "trekking adjustable poles" which may surprise you to learn I do carry of late, as poles, the rest weatherside I'd attach to the car. That said, it would be more convenient to rig the other way round, so that driver's side is on the higher open side (exhaust is K series passenger side RHD). And how to stay dry while setting up.. this would then beg the question about whether to "drive through" the storm or "wait for it to pass". I suppose waiting in relative comfort is the more safe option.

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/mld-grace-tarp/

http://www.bearpawwd.com/tarps/tarps_canopies_images/flat_tarps_5_large.jpg I like this idea, the trouble is if the wind changes it will become like a sail or kite.

• Leadership Team

Just seen this thread.  For personal protection in extremis, when trying to kip, I can recommend a bivvy bag.  Snug and waterproof, they take up little more space than a pack-a-mac and the Gore-tex worked a treat unless in the arctic when the temperature was below minus 7, in which case we'd take them into a tent.  Modern Gore-tex probably works below that.

I also recommend a bungee cord, rather than rope or cord for tying down bashas or tarps and for ridge lines, as these absorb some of the shock of gusts and reduce the chance of the peg, cord, eyelets, or posts being pulled out.

P.S.  Just looked at that link to the tarp you posted.  HOW MUCH!!!  I was taught to rig a leaky old poncho, with washing machine drive belts as bungee cords.  Total cost 4s 6d.

P.P.S  Hope you enjoy your holiday.  I'm on my way down there in a couple of weeks.  Thanks for the warning about the weather.

I just put the standard hood on - keeps pretty much everything out.  Only time I've had water come in at speed was due to the felt strip above the screen being worn out and hanging off.

Water does occasionaly shoot up the inside of the sidescreens if you hit a deep water at speed.

My Emerald ECU is on the inside of the bulkhead next to a slightly relocated fusebox so no electrical worries.

In 17 years it's misfired once due to water down the plugholes - suddenly seemed to have traction control when turning out of a junction uphill on my commute home where I have to be careful not to spin or squeal the tyres due to the road surface.

It lives outside in all weathers, and is driven in all weather.  Use Uniroyal tyres and in 17yrs the only time I've stopped in torrential rain to shelter under a forecourt canopy was somewhere in Austria as a couple of cars in the group were aero-screened - we could have carried on once the hood was up and the back window half-unzipped.  It's felt unsafe in torrential rain on an Italian motorway simply due to being worried about other drivers not seeing us.

Hail and snow are the worst as the vertical screen means the wipers simply pack it to the side and bottom, their operating arc getting smaller and smaller.

Strap folded full doors and a hood to the spare wheel carrier ;-)

I use bothy bags as emergency shelters whilst taking groups into the mountains, don’t see why a large one couldn’t work as an emergency garage

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p100495-terra-nova-bothy-bag-8-emergency-shelter-53b8/?option_id=40443&adwords=true&gclid=CjwKCAjw_b3cBRByEiwAdG8Wqis1CCpcb3EDSEWUxBhOYRmTb8FQ28Do27GQo7_XKFZzhegA_6iQuxoCt3cQAvD_BwE#.W4-RCqTTXYU