Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Immobiliser fail?

Englishmaninwales

EU3 K series. Another owner’s car.

Out of the blue yesterday, after a long run, the engine failed to restart properly.

On dis-arming the immobiliser with the blipper, get the red flashing light extinguished,  the fuel pump runs, the engine fires and runs for a few seconds and then stops. All attempts to re-start result in the engine not firing. Re-arming and dis-arming the immobiliser produces the same result.

Tried disconnecting / reconnecting the battery and rebooting the immobiliser with several blips on the fob, but getting the same result.

I suspect this is the immobiliser failing to dis-arm, but I am not familiar with this system, my car is older.

Help please!

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while, but if I recall correctly the CCT LED is the key to understanding the immobiliser status.

With the ignition off and the vehicle immobilised, the LED should flash at 1 Hz. Press the unlock on the key fob and the LED should go off. Turn ignition ON and the LED should stay off. If it comes on and stays on constantly the system is still immobilised. Unfortunately "crank disable" is not implemented on the Caterham, so even if the system is immobilised the starter will still turn and the engine might fire for a couple of seconds, but the code will not have been sent to the MEMS so the engine will then die.

Once again, if the LED is off, the immobiliser is unlocked and should have sent the correct signal to the MEMS. If this is the case I'd look for other potential issues.