Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bulk buy - Duratec engines

AMMO

Simon

The container leaves the States in around 3 months time.

Jan

Thanks for the info.

Having put some pressure on the new unit retailers in the UK it is now possible to obtain new engines without the ancillaries for £1,500.00 + VAT. These have no starter motor or alternator. Not sure if the stock starter motor and alternator can be used in a Seven. I'm still investigating.

A word of warning if searching for engines on the internet. I was contacted by somebody who also purchased an engine which never arrived from the same firm I gave my card details to. His card was never refunded. I was so concerned that my card details were in the hands of less than reputable individuals, I have had my credit card cancelled. I have given the firm in question until Friday to send me proof of refund. If no refund is forthcoming I will put the matter to the fraud department of my card issuers who I have already spoken to. I will also contact the breaker's card merchant services and put it to them that they should revoke the card facility because they are in breech of contract. Firms are not allowed to take payment from a customer unless the goods are ready for despatch.

I was also quoted a price that was inclusive of VAT by both firms I ordered engines from. When the invoices arrived there was no VAT on them. As I'm VAT registered this automatically made the engines 17.5% more expensive to me. The invoices also had no engine numbers on them.

I will contact the police to see if there is some system to check engine numbers on units provided by breakers. I don't want to be dealing in stolen goods. The worst case scenario would be to buy a used unit, fit a lot of expensive parts to it and then find out that the engine is stolen.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of new engines.

AMMO

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ammo

I was offered engines from two different breakers about 2 months ago. I declined the offer hoping to find something locally. Going by your experience I`m glad I did.

As for the engines from the states, if the container leaves in 3 months when does an order need to be placed by? If an order can be placed in a couple of months time say May then the timing may be ideal for me.

It also gives me a couple of weekends to hunt round local breakers to see what is available.

Can you believe a local firm was looking £3500 for a new duratec...... *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

Simon

Simon

My advice is don't part with any money unless you actually see the engine. A friend has seen the second hand unit I'm buying so at least I know it actually exists. Going price for second hand engines seems to be around £600.00/£800.00 + VAT. Makes a brand new engine at £1,100.00 + VAT quite attractive. Also the 2.3 is not readily available in the UK as it is not fitted to any domestic vehicle as far as I know.

As for placing the order, anytime in the next couple of months. This will give you time to look around for a second hand unit. It is best to buy the engines in threes as this is how they come packaged from Ford apparently. Extra odd engines have to be uncrated and re-packaged which makes them more expensive. I have already comitted to buying three 2 litre engines.

AMMO

AMMO,

see my earlier posting...Make sure you are getting the engines you think you are getting...do not rely upon the name 'Duratec' alone. (Iron block...Ali block... etc.)

Sintered Con rods do not sound too cleaver to me. The diesel Engine gets a forged crank ilo cast. Pity it cannot be interchanged.

What would it take to 'reverse' the head i wonder (Flow the air in opposite direction).

Roland

AMMO:

Being about 45 miles from Detroit (I know, poor bastard) If I can offer any help from this end, would be glad to pitch in. Having just imported a Seven from the UK, I know some of the snags.

The local dealer has these about to measure photograph etc.

Cheers!

No officer, the wheel is on the RIGHT side. *wink*

Red Super Sprint De Dion 6 speed

Bob, Roland and Michael. Thanks.

Jackass. Are you on drugs?

For those of you who are interested this is the ongoing saga of the second hand engines that never arrived:

Friday came and went with no refund from the breakers. Saturday post has arrived and still no refund.

Confronted the first breakers and told them that I had asked them nicely for a refund twice. I was now going to contact their merchant services and tell them that they were in breech of their contractual agreement with the card company. The breaker said if I did that, he would not refund my money because I was being arrogant to him! He added that it would take three months for me to get the money back from the credit card company while the matter was being investigated.

Second breaker. Can I have my money back please? No we can't because we have not been refunded by the breaker we bought the unit from on your behalf. I said my agreement was with you to supply an engine. You have my money and I have no engine. I'm going to complain to your merchant services. Reply : "if you do that, it will take yo three months to get your money back".

Hmmmm. I see a pattern emerging.

What do we need to do to rid the world of 🙆🏻holes like this. I know I'll get my money back in the end, but I could do without the aggro.

I think I'll ask my uncle in Palermo what to do. He'll know.

I'm posting this here so you don't make the same mistake I did. Can't post the names of the breakers concerned on this site as I'll probably get sued on top of it all. Anyone who is interested in knowing who the low life in question are can email me off line.

AMMO

Have a word with the credit card company. They usually refund the money very quickly. They have been known to do it on the day they receive writen letter re the problem. They will deduct the money from the breakers while it is in dispute. If they happen to come up with an engine the same day that you are happy with the transaction will happen a second time. Once you get your money back from the credit card company then start with the local trading standards office.

Richard in France

with a yellow rolling chassis, awaiting ordered Duratec parts 😬 *thumbup* 😬 😬

Ammo,

If you tel the Merchant Sercvices that the transaction was sourced through tthe internet, then they usually jump very quickly - they are very keen for the internet to be seen as a safe trading environment.

Personally I'd be on to the merchant services on principle - they took your money without the goods existing - thats fraud!

Cheers

Chris

Engine update.

Still no refund from the first breakers who contacted me via Findit.co.uk. I've been inconvenienced by these people. Now my ambition is not just to get my money back (not really a problem) but to give them as much grief as I can. I am going to urge their credit card merchant services to remove their card facilities, in an attempt to put them out of business. Even if I don't manage, I'm hoping to make things uncomfortable for them.

Happily, after "negotiations" I received a refund in the post this morning from the other breakers.

When these little inconveniences happen in life I like to cheerfully treat them as a project and have as much fun with them as I can. I hate seeing anybody in the wrong getting away with it.

Hopefully the third engine I have paid for will turn up before the weekend so I can get on with some work.

AMMO

Bananaman

The US sourced engines don't have to be ordered for a couple of months. However having dealt with companies on the other side of the world before, it is sometimes difficult to get backup. I have also now been informed that the engines are not technically new, but ones that have had minor mishaps on the production line, probably been dropped or had threads stripped. The cost of a new engine in the US is $2,200 dollars. Which is comparable to the new UK price.

I was telephoned this morning by one of the UK distributors for the Duratec. He has asked to come and see me next week to discuss things. I am starting to think that it may be a better deal to with a reputable UK company who will give the backup if required. It is worth spending the extra few hundred pounds for the peace of mind.

I am willing to pass on the brand new UK engines at cost just to get the ball rolling. Target price is around £1,500.00 + VAT + delivery. If I buy a few I can probably get a deal on delivery. This is for brand new UK sourced 2 litre engines available from stock. 2.3 engines would have to come from the States, personally I am not interested in these as they have a long stroke which I don't like.

Anybody who definately wants one of these engines should contact me before my meeting next Friday. If I have a some definate orders it may give me the possibility of obtaining extra discount.

AMMO

Edited by - ammo on 20 Mar 2003 12:28:02