Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery Removal and Immobiliser

arun1uk

Hi all,

Stupid newbie question - so please forgive me!

I'm going to fit some easy connectors to the battery on my new 7 so I can use a Battery conditioner.  What do I have to do regarding the immobiliser? Do I disarm first, then disconnect the battery? Then fit the adapter and reconnect the battery as usual?

I assume the immobiliser will just function as normal once I've connected everything up again?

Thanks again!

EDITED: See post #7 below. It might not need resetting.

It will probably need resetting. What sort of immobiliser and do you have the instructions for resetting? I'd have a practice run at resetting before disconnecting the battery.

Sequences are then:

1. Disarm
  2. Disconnect battery
  3. Start work

and

1. Complete work
  2. Reconnect battery
  3. Reset immobiliser
  4. Test immobiliser.

If you don't know which type it is add a description or photo here and the collective knowledge should be able to help.

Not sure what you mean by "easy connectors"... most of us do that by adding a "cigar lighter" socket in the cockpit which is then used both for the charger and for accessories.

Jonathan

PS: If you're modifying the battery connections have you got shrouds that insulate the terminals and connections?

If will almost certainly wake up in the same state as when disconnected.

As JK says, fitting a 12v (cigar lighter) socket on the dash is a common approach to connecting a conditioner. It also give a power source for phone or sat nav.

I did just this when I got mine. It is an optimate conditioner which comes with a "plug" with a matching one to attached to the battery (I've tie wrapped mine so it is next to the pedal box just by the sterring column. When I disconnected the battery to do so (and subsequently) didn't have to reset the immobiliser

Thanks for the replies.

I have an alarm fob transponder which I press buttons on to engage and disengage, as opposed to the induction type fobs, if that makes sense? Not sure what brand of immobiliser though.

Same as above, I purchased an Optimate 4 conditioner, and already have a 12v socket installed. I didn't realise I could charge via that, which would be much easier than connecting under the bonnet.

Could I ask what I might need to charge via the 12v socket please?

Thanks in advance, and for newbie stupidity

To use the existing socket:

1. Check that it's always connected to the battery and doesn't depend on the ignition switch!
  2. I don't know if there's a proprietary adaptor for your Optimate charger. If there is your choice is between using that or getting a new plug and wiring that onto your lead.

Jonathan

PS: Looks as if I'm wrong about unpowered immobilisers needing to be reset... but I'd still want to know that I could reset it before disconnecting.

The immobiliser on a VVC (Lucas 5AS as on any K) should just wake up in the same state it was when powered down. What you probably will find is that you need to press the unlock button on the fob several times the first time to disarm it to synchronise the rolling code system. Other than that, no special precautions. I just disconnect mine without worrying.

Hi as said above best skt under dash to plug in battery conditioner   

Ps poss bit over the top but as I am always leaving lights on.  I carry a light tow rope. A small set jump leads and bought a small jump start kit which is great as it also can be used to charge up phones I pads ect 

derek