Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec Alternator Belt Adjustment

juleslid

I feel a bit of a fool, I built the car but can't see how to tighten up the alt belt! Or is it automatic, tensioned by the thing at the top right of the engine when looking at the engine from the front?

There is a little bit of a new noise from the engine, not a full-on squeal yet, that seems to increase with electrical load, so the obvious place to start would seem to be the alternator belt. But the alternator is fixed into position, which left me scratching my head? Any thoughts?

Car is a late 2009 Roadsport 175.

Thanks, and apologies if I've missed a previous thread.

Jules

Thanks for that John, I suspected that might be a tensioner, therefore the belt tension will not be adjustable by me.

The belt looks healthy enough, though it is the original. I suppose the next course of action will be to remove the belt and check that the alternator, and the other pulleys, all rotate cleanly.

And yes, you were right, the bolt through the pulley on the tensioner is 17mm..

Jules

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very rude to leave a thread unfinished, so here's the update:

The noise was infrequent and unintrusive so I was soon able to ignore it. Then I made the long haul trip down to see the 2 Steves recently (quite an experience, engine lovely now) and Steve G picked it up at the end of the job with the final conclusion being that it was probably the water pump making occasional noises.

So, that will probably become a winter job now, has anybody else come across this problem?

Planning ahead, has anybody found a good book to help with working on Duratecs, such as a Haynes Mondeo or something? The build manual stops at how to bolt it in!

Cheers, Julian

Thanks Chris, that's very helpful. Looks like a reasonably straightforward job, doesn't even seem to need a gasket, if I read it correctly.

Looking at your link, it would seem to suggest that a Haynes manual covering 2007 Mondeos should be good for our engines...

Cheers, Julian