Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2017 Speed Sensor Fitting

ChrisC

Due to my speed sensor coming loose at a track day and becoming damaged, I have just received a replacement, however it’s obviously been redesigned since my 2011 and 2015 cars.  

It now has a plastic boss and single nut, and the sensor is much smaller diameter, my question is has anyone got a photo of the new sensor fitted?   

I wan’t to know if the boss or m8 nut is closest to the drive shaft ring, and if one or two m5 nuts are fitted and again at which end.

I suspect you will no longer be able to see the light on the sensor, depending on the fitting order.

Hi Chris,

I've just replaced mine too, under warranty. The M8 nut is closest to the drive shaft ring, with one small locknut at this side, and one at the plastic locknut end. If I can work out how to attach the picture and instructions CC send me, I'll post it here.

I also received a new bracket, but it would have been a simple job to drill out the hole in the old one.

image001_0.png.574c303d86ac19b3eb53222026db94b4.png

Cheers,

Rob.

• 1 month later...

My previous car has a wheel speed sensor which was a set and forget affair.   My current 7 the sensor was a pain from build, it failed the first IVA with it not working above 30, even after being permitted time to try and adjust it and retry a few time.   Finally after installing the earth mod and a few hours testing in the garage on axle stand using an oscilloscope, I managed to get a speedo working up to the IVA test speed of 70.    But above 90 it would wiggle, bounce and die, until the speed is reduced again.   So that's how its been until my last track day, where at some stage in a session it died for good, but I continued on.   After the session I discovered the sensor has come lose and had been dragged around, damaging the threads making refitting the nuts a pain, and as it turned out damaged the sensor in some way.   Once I had refitted the sensor, it would wiggle and bounce around at 30 and wiggle and die above 90. 

After fitting the new sensor the speedo is well, normal, somehow smoother than all my previous cars with the wheel speed sensor, but this could be just because I have been used to bouncing and wiggling for a while.    The speedo is now like the Tin Top.    

CC have been crafty with this part, you can buy all the bits for about £55 including the mount, or the sensor on its own for £50.  The mount on its own is £20, which is a rip off.   You may be able to source the sensor for £30, but without the mount your not saving anything.   The mount would be simple to manufacture, if you had the facilities, but as a one off its going to cost you more that CC are asking, so your best bet it the £55 with all the bits