Click here if you are having website access problems ×

16" tyres

JKJ

I am currently using Goodyear F1 tyres on my 16" HPC wheels, which are getting towards the end of their life. They do seem to give excellent grip, both wet and dry, with reasonable tread life, but what other tyres are people using in this size on their 7's ?

• 2 weeks later...
I've just put Avon ZZ1's on my HPC wheels (when I was at the Motor Show I see that Caterham have also started to fit these!) - they are way better than the standard Mitchelins the car came with - much softer compound and if you shop around you can get them dirt cheap!

>>A magazine has a tyre test this month.. This consisted of 3 dry stops from

>>70mph and 40mph, 3 wet stops from 70mph and 40mph and three laps of the

>>Mireval test track in France - the dry circuit is 1.94 miles and the wet

>>circuit is 1.05 miles.

>>The tyre was 205/45/16. All "Wet" tests were with 1mm of standing water

Avon ZZ1 Bridgestone S-02 F1

Price £108 £127 £116

Dry Stop1 10th 1st 9th

Dry Stop2 10th 2nd 7th

WetStop1 10th 3rd 4th

WetStop2 10th 1st 4th

Dry Lap 10th 7th 5th

Wet Lap 10th 2nd 1st

Need I say more?????

I've got them on my 7 as replacements for Pilots because I thought that if Caterham were fitting them they must be the way to go, but they are not even as good as the Pilots wet or dry, and the breakaway is more sudden.

You'll find over the years that Caterham's recommendations for products have a lot to do with their current sponsorship deals and very little to do with what is best for us as owners.

I have so2 on my tin top and they are great.

Car is a Granada Cosworth 205/50/16(similar weight to my 7 2.0 vx!)

I have a set of f1s on my 7. Very good wet and dry grip 185/60/14

Has anyone tried so2 on a seven? I am thinking of a set 195/50/15

If so what pressures work best.

Thanks in advance James

From my perpective, a tyre may be good on a car and be less efficient on another one. [:O] It is why car manufacturers recommend to use specific types of tyres, sometime only one for a specific model.This is why projections of the qualities of a tyre from a car to another are tricky.

My understanding is that YOKOS A 021R are good match for Sevens for wet/dry and road/track use and this why I shall move from the Pilots, which are very good for heavier vehicules, to the A 021R.

Pierre

Pierre: THats if you can get hold of them - there are non available in the UK (South) right now from any Yoko dealer and Yoko arent expected to import until the end of January. Not strictly true I suppose - there were 3 left at the Caterham factory by Xmas eve - anyone race reliant robins?