Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC rear cambelt replacement

Englishmaninwales

Rear VVC cam belt replacement. About to tackle this, any tips or advice, please?

I can see restraining the inlet camshaft rear gear without Rover tool 12-182 (no longer available) to undo/secure the retaining bolt might be a challenge (I was reluctant to rely on the combined effort of the front cam gear and flywheel locking tools, putting a strain on new rear belt on refitting.)

Malcolm

I bought a pulley holding tool from a car spares shop .... basically a long handle with a pin on it and a pivoting leg with another pin on it. You just poke the pins through the holes in the pulleys and hold it to prevent pulley rotation while you undo the bolt. Don't forget loctite when refitting bolts. I put small spots of Tippex on edge of old belt and pulleys and transfer the spots to the new belt as inlet cam can move when released from belt.

To change the rear belt you only need to remove one pulley, so just lock the front pulleys and remove only the exhaust pulley at the rear. I also use a tool exactly as Ian describes when I do need to remove the inlet pulley but for this job you don't.