Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering rack removal and repair

david nelson

• Area Representative

can it be done with out removing the rad?

Yes, sort of.... You can leave the hoses connected, but undo the rad off its mounts on the RHS. Slide the rack across to the left until the RHS track rod is all inside, then pull the radiator forward and full the rack through the gap.

once it out where or how easy is it to fix?

'depends what you find.....  which side do you have the movement? Have you pulled the boots back to determine if its the track rod to rack, or its the rack in the housing?

Some racks have a plastic bush at the non pinion side, some the rack simply runs in the aluminum housing. If it has a plastic bush, its possible to pack between the bush and the housing with shim.

If its the pinion side, it may be that the plastic shoe needs a little more pressure on it.

If its track rod to rack, then the locking dowel can be drilled out, the cap nipped up, and a replacement dowel fitted. 

Richard

thank for the reply. The rack is out. I noticed it on braking with a clock. It felt similar to when I had a loose wheel. The steering feels fine. Checked the wheels all ok but if you get hold of the track rod you can reproduce the clunk. It's not at the ball joint but at the other end. 

Reading your post it may be the ball joint in the rack that needs trightening. No it is not as been back to the garage and if i get hold of the bit sticking out of the rack and it moves and can feel the clonk.

David  

david