Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T - K series click, on a Fiat 500!

StuB

My wife drives a 2007 Fiat 500 with a 1.2 diesel engine. In the last few months she has been experiencing what I can only describe as K Series click.

The car starts first time from cold no problem but once the it has warmed up and running hot the problems start. If the car is stopped and left for a few minutes it then won’t restart. The engine doesn’t turn over it just clicks when you turn the key. Once the car has cooled or if you attach jump leads it fires up again. 

Having done a little search on the internet it seems that this might be a common fault on Fiat Multijet Diesel engines. Crank sensor seems to be a culprit and a relatively cheap and easy fix. 

As this engine is used in a lot of Fiat Group vehicles I thought I’d ask if anyone else has experienced the same issue?

Stu - No experience of that issue but experience of that and other F.I.R.E engines from 999cc upwards. Worth asking/searching here https://www.fiatforum.com might get you an answer/suggestion/tip OR asking a recommended non-franchised indie could solve things.

edit: Often I’ve read that dealing with the modern Fiat dealer can be like walking through treacle, similarly Abarth dealers can be the same, if under warranty a Tweet, Instagram post or direct mail to them gets the problem sorted very quickly as the latter brand seems better monitored for bad PR, dealer seems to get told to stop dragging feet and sort it out.