Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear wheel bearing, 1996 de-dion

TomB

Hi,

My MOT revealed slight play on the near side rear wheel bearing - not enough to fail, but probably one to do over winter.  It been a while since I had the rear suspension apart, but I recall a bearing carrier bolted to the inside of the de-dion ear.  

Is the usual procedure to remove the bearing carrier and replace the bearings on the bench, or buy the carrier with the bearing already in? If the former, presumably you press out the bearings and shells with a press or punch? These are Sierra parts I recall.  

Reason I ask now is Ive spotted these on eBay and am wondering whether to buy them and put them away until winter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caterham-7-Parts-Pair-of-Hubs-Also-for-Locost-Self-Build-Specials-Kit-Cars/192586733657?hash=item2cd7105859:g:GbMAAOSwEfZbOg4W  

many thanks 

Tom 

Just have! Looking at the prices online for hubs & bearings, I've got a bargain there - provided they turn out to be what they appear! 

As I'd have to remove the hubs to press out the old and insert the new bearings, I may as well fit these without messing around trying to press out the old bearings.