Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec engine mounts

julians

I've been using raceline engine mounts so far, but they seem a little on the small/not too strong side, and this is the second pair that have cracked on me in 2 years, so does anyone know who else makes engine mounts for a zetec caterham.

I think James Whiting do them, but are they likely to fit if I'm using raceline bits everywhere else? Does anyone have any photos of a James whiting set of engine mounts in place so I can check them out.

Julian,

I have the James Whiting supplied mounts fitted. I don't think James makes his own, but gets them from either Raceline or Dunnells - it would be worth giving him a ring to check. If you still want photos give me a call - Numbers in LF - West Sussex AO, and I'll email you some piccies.

Dave H

Not spoken to raceline yet, I wanted to see what other options there were first. I'll probably give them a call at lunchtime.

I was wondering whether there is some other problem with my installation which is causing the cracking, the mounts are failing at the engine end of the mount where the bit that bolts to the engine is welded to the tube, but it snot the weld that is failing, the tube is splitting just before the weld.

I dont know whether its due to vibration, or mostly track use or something else.

Well if it's only held together with snot I'm not surprised it is failing *wink*

Seriously though, I haven't had any problems with mine so it may be something that is peculiar to your installation. Worth discussing with Pete McEwen.

Brent

7 not now in so many bits 😬

Bought mine with the engine from Dunnells - they seem OK so far, but I'm sure he doesn't make them himself (possibly uses the same source as Raceline?). Interesting that James has given up on Zetec installations, as he was one of the pioneers. Last time I was there he had a lot of bike-engine work on - seems that this must have pushed out the more traditional stuff from the workshop.

Just spoken to raceline, they're going to have a look a my broken mounts and see if they can come up with a stronger design.

Excellent service from raceline, I can post updates to the story as/when I get them If anyone else is interested.

Another option might be the USA distributor for Caterham, all of the engines he supplies (all 2L Zetec) come with the mounts, I have not heard of any issues with mounts in the US. His website is www.Caterhamusa.com the owner is Jon Nelson and is very responsive. That would be a switch Caterham parts flowing the other way across the Atlantic. If I remember right his price was $54 US for the pair.