Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help again, this time it's the rear ARB

Doug phillips

As you can see I have undone the link and the two nuts holding it on, I have jacked it up the body but there is not enough room to pull the arm out as it hits the diff.

Even if I could get it out, how do you get the old bush off and the new one on (due to the flat part of the bar) *banghead*

Thanks, confused of Carshalton *confused*

IMG_2408.thumb.JPG.ef5e4af38e9ff9b0d691efad526ffc17.JPG

Just ask Mandy :-) don't remember how I did it now ... but I managed to remove mine from one side. Whether it's the extra space on an SV ? Anyway .. removed mine and left it off ... car much happier on bumpy bends now .... it doesn't hop sideways as the ARB transmits the bumps from one wheel to the other.

I think the Alcester example is the set-up that SM25T describes, above.

Doug's looks like one of three variants that my car has had over time: low-slung forward-facing (the original type with continuously adjustable links with rose joints); low-slung rear-facing, as above); and mounted under the inertial reel boxes, as per Doug's pictures. For that version I have a (hazy) memory of taking the fuel tank out...

Thanks for all the suggestions I have put it back together for the time being, trying to get it out via the boot sounds a good idea. 

What I cannot figure out is how to fit the new bushes, as the flat arms are welded to the bar and I have tried to get the new ones on but the hole in them is just to small to squeeze over the flat part (let alone trying to force it around the corner). I will wait and have a word with Andy Belcher from Tech7, the next time I see him, but I do want to replace them as they have a fair bit of play in them. 

Im pretty sure it comes out from the side, it just requires some careful maneuvering.  You need to have the car on stands with the wheels removed, probably outside unless you've a wide garage.  To remove the bushes, spray rubber lube on the bar and the bush and it pushes around the 90 degree corner. Nothing fancy.  If they are too hard/ aged, suggets cutting them with a hacksaw.  The new ones should slide over the corner.  .    

The new ones should slide over the corner. 

Indeed they do, provided you apply rubber lube liberally.  To quote the Assembly Guide:

Apply rubber lubricant to the centre of the bushes and slide them down over the flat blades and onto the round section of the rear anti-roll bar.

JV