Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half Doors - can they be easily made

Silver 21

Having now parted with the hard earned reddies for an interchangable aero screen (just waiting for the parcel to arrive 😬), my thoughts are turning to how I protect myeslf and passenger against the weather with no doors.

As the Caterham half doors seem a tad expensive can normal doors be cut down and if so how are they fixed? (hinged or poppered on?). I presume they can be cut carefully along the top of the hard piece and some kind of trim edge put over the top or have I got this completely wrong and am I wasting my time.

If the answers positive has anyone got some scruffy doors they want to sell?

Graham

*confused* Competition Secretary *confused*

*cool* Lydden, Curborough, MIRA, Llandow, Loton Park, Curborough, Aintree...What more can you ask for? *cool*

Hi Graham,

I looked for ages to get some old doors for this purpose. No one had any for sale so I resorted to guying a second hand tonneau, £20 I think, and using that. The material is more flexible so it doesn't obstruct your elbows like you may think. Simply fit it to the current poppers and then mark and cut along the top edge and try to retain the boot cover/live axle damper fixing if you can/have them. Leave enough for a loop and put some small dia Ali tube (B&Q - £2) in to give it some strength.

Other benefit is that you get a spare zip for your regular tonneau *smile*

They are great with Aero's - they stop the kiddney area of your back from being frozen!

They also make the car look mean 😬

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

I made some out of that leatheret fabric and a bamboo stick and they lasted 2 years.

Then got an old tonneau and made a proper one as Phil suggests.

Course, Phil copied me! His is neater as he has a live axle and was able to incorporate the

shock absorber stick eyelet and his wife made his whereas I do all my on sewing. Apart from the

Tillet tonneau conversion she did for me.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Phil/Steve

Since you've hijacked my thread I have one thing to say:

Phil, can your wife make me some half doors as well

😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Graham

*confused* Competition Secretary *confused*

*cool* Lydden, Curborough, MIRA, Llandow, Loton Park, Curborough, Aintree...What more can you ask for? *cool*

Graham... where abouts are you? Would need to fit a tonneau to the car before letting you decide where to cut, etc...

I'm in Reading, if that is any good to you let me know, via a mail... and I'll start to warn Mandy that she has another job with that really tough to sew stuff *smile*

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬