Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Things to do on Vacation........ and advice on attaching front wings please

Brightonuk

Picking up my new CF front an rear wings from KCD and bringing them back with me (hopefully if the box in not too big to take as excess luggage)

Then in the suitcases 4 rims and possibly a silencer and other smaller bits

Was going for a new nose cone but I gotta draw the line somewhere 

The question is attaching the front wings I found this on Amazon but as I know nothing about:

Shore Hardness 60 to 65 Shore A,

Shear Strength 500 psi,

Tensile Strength 1450 psi

I don't know if it is overkill or just the wrong stuff period.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P9WW72/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AIE6R2NGUINHH

​Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Steve

That's "3M 590 Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant".

1. There are widely differing views on fixing cycle wings, including adhesive only, Bighead fasteners and bolts.
  2. The preparation and geometry of fixing might be limiting regardless of the adhesive: cleaning the composite, removing paint or powdercoat from the metal, degreasing and making a sausage roll rather than merely a sandwich are all recommended.
  3. NB most of the reports are with GFRP rather than CFRP but the most frequently recommended adhesive is Sikaflex 221. And there are lots of other Sikaflex products. Their online information is pretty good.

Let us know if you can't find what you need in the archives from those pointers.

Jonathan

• Area Representative

I've used several different PU sealant/adhesives, and not found much difference for our application.

Preparation and application is far more important than that actual PU adhesive being used.

Yes I see a few posts (3 pages on the first look) and it did not help due to the wide number of opinions

One thing that maybe unique to me is being in Florida and the daily temp in the summer is north of 96 degrees and the wings being Black Carbon I figure the bond will get kinda warm baking in the sun for 8 hours a day so I need one that is not going to be susceptible to heat (softening)

On a separate note the car did not come with side repeaters any advise on which aftermarket ones to get, and how/where to run the wires across and secure them? I do not want to use ugly cable ties if I can help it.

And lastly the position of the repeaters, as I have no other cats to look at I am guessing from photos where to position them .

Might seem obvious but I would like my rebuild to be in spec with a factory cat that includes the repeater position     

One thing that maybe unique to me is being in Florida and the daily temp in the summer is north of 96 degrees and the wings being Black Carbon I figure the bond will get kinda warm baking in the sun for 8 hours a day so I need one that is not going to be susceptible to heat (softening).

"96 degrees" ≅ 36°C.

The problems of applying in low temperature are well-known but I don't think that's come up before.

From the product guide for Sikaflex 221:

Thermal resistance (CQP 513-1): 90°C
Short term 1 day: 120°C
1 hour: 140°C.

Service temperature: -40 to +90 °C,

Jonathan

PS: And cold isn't only a problem when applying:

Glass transition temperature (CQP 509 -1/ ISO 4663): -45°C approx.

Yes I see a few posts (3 pages on the first look) and it did not help due to the wide number of opinions

Multi-author technical wikis will help with a lot of our knowledge management problems but will be especially beneficial when there are different views because they'll all be in one place, among other reasons.

Jonathan

Re side repeater wiring, the build manual gives details of how to route the cables inside the wing stays which is possibly the neat solution you are looking for. Re adhesives, have a look at Sikaflex 292i which is a marine structural adhesive which cures in reaction to atmospheric moisture content.  Given you local climatic extremes, I'd venture that if you bond direct to the existing wing stay powder coat, the weak link could come from the powder coat and how it deals with newly induced tensile stresses. You could get up to 6 BigHeads per wing fixed with 292i and then locked to the wing stays with 2 heavy duty cable ties per BigHead. (4 BH's fastners per wing is the norm).

If one BigHead was to fail you'd pick this up during routine checks but have the remainder doing their job.  Not the case with a blob of adhesive in your demanding climate.

Thanks SM25T for the suggestion along those lines I purchase these on Amazon thought they would look cool and they were inexpensive but the wife said "no it needs to look original".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1CHCO0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Personally  I think they would great but happy wife happy life)

20180704_162734_1.thumb.jpg.c663e25ac884e6de97282c10c2644f36.jpg

20180704_162819_2.thumb.jpg.79709f15f6dcc493bb87705c0d771fa8.jpg  

Which brings me back to where and which ones to mount.