Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff oil seal weep.

Kingsley Young

• Area Representative

The diff nose oil seal appears to have a weep on it, can the seal be replaced with the diff still on the car by dropping the prop shaft or is it diff out job ?

Kingsley. 

I had a drip from the pinion oil seal on my first Sierra diff from new, then replaced it with a rebuilt one to try and cure the whining. The new one dripped and whined in exactly the same way *frown*

I couldn't face removing the diff again, so just decided to top it up every 2000 miles. It hasn't got any worse in 35000 miles, in fact the last couple of times I checked the level, it didn't need oil, so it may be getting better.

It might be an idea to just keep an eye on the level and see how it goes, unless you have a driveway that will be damaged by oil. I have to admit that I do ask friends if they mind before I drive my Seven onto their property.

Duncan

You cannot remove the prop with the diff in place on a dedion. The tunnel is really tight and its a tough job to get the old seal out and new one in square with it on the bench so doing in the car will be a challenge.

If you have flexible hoses on the back you wont even have to bleed the brakes.

Interesting the previous thread mentions using RTV sealant as it can leak down the splines. If it was just this to try and cure the leak I’d have a go in situ by removing lower bolts and twisting it down.

Ian

• Area Representative

John I would totally agree,I’m not looking to blame in any way , these things happen , he has done work for me in the past always happy with whatever he has done. 

Kingsley.