Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lifting the car to/from the side

Golf Juliet Tango

• Area Representative

There is plenty of guidance on jacking up the car but all assume that one needs to either get at the front or the rear. 

I need to get to the middle as I am replacing the seat runners and it would be far better to lift one side than the front or the back.  (It would be useful if one wished to swap wheels between front and back).

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

• Area Representative

Jonathan

Not having a fork-lift to hand...

But I do know where the lifting points are for a two post lift.

The difficulty I see is lifting front and back simultaneously (or more or less so).  I know the space frame is very strong but twisting forces are what I wish to avoid.

As it happens, I'm working on the 21 which has more weight but also a stiffer chassis.  (it also has well rusted seat-runners and seat-runner fixing bolts which will need the application of an angle grinder   *irked* )

Stephen

I lift it under the triangle bracket for the windscreen-ish.

Never had a problem.

You have, of course, to be under the longitudinal chassis member. I wouldn't lift it under the floor with a jack though I do it with my forklift.

• Area Representative

Lift onto 4 axle stands as suggested. Alternatively if you do not have 4 axle stands and as you are working on seat mounts raise up the car and put blocks or similar under the wheels. 

• Area Representative

Lift onto 4 axle stands as suggested. Alternatively if you do not have 4 axle stands and as you are working on seat mounts raise up the car and put blocks or similar under the wheels. 

• Area Representative

• Area Representative

You can borrow my forklift.

I've also got plenty of axle stands and with a bit of luck we can borrow my neighbors four post lift or one of his two posters.

Only problem is my location, but I can put you up for the night.

I'll second that you should not work under the car without having it secured.