Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma starter motor swap

Martin J

My 11 year old sigma S3 125 is getting increasingly unreliable starting. Sometimes just a click from the solenoid when pushing the button & several pushes are needed, other times it's instant & catches first time, so a classic intermittent fault. 

I have owned the car from new & built it & it has always done this from new but has only been very occasional over 36K miles.  Now I sense its becoming more of a problem. The battery voltage is fine & the wiring is all ok so I think the solenoid is at fault. 

Has anyone had the same issue with the 1.6 Sigma? A replacement is available from caterham for £175 but I would search elsewhere to save money. Has anyone managed to replace the starter motor without removing the engine? Access to the top bolt looks very difficult tucked behind the plastic inlet plenum chamber. 

Thanks in advance. 

You are right about access to the top bolt. I have removed my starter when doing the timing belt and found a very long extension allowed me to get to it, but I had to use a universal joint which made it a PITA. I plan to try using a ball ended allen driver next time. I think I remember finding the bolt wouldn't come all the way out as the head fouled on the starter. I had to undo all three bolts together and loosen the starter before I could get them all out.

I can't help you with a part number, but last time I had a problem with a Citroen starter, a search for the code written on the unit brought up various rebuilt units on Ebay. I bought one for £35 rather than the £100 plus from Citroen and it worked perfectly for 5 years.o

Hope this is helpful.

Duncan

If I knew that the fault were in the starter or solenoid I'd do the same as SM25T. And you'll know that it would fit.

The battery voltage is fine & the wiring is all ok so I think the solenoid is at fault.

How many of the following have you done so far:

1. Topped up the battery if it can be.
  2. Measured the battery voltage at rest, minimum while cranking, and at 3.000 rpm
  3. Checked all the relevant wiring and connections including earths, and master switch if fitted. Inspect, wiggle, disconnect, clean.
  4. Read revilla's recent demystifying monograph.
  5. Jumped a good feed to the solenoid?

Jonathan