Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Locking wheelnuts and balance issues

pcgoodie

hey all!... 

I put locking wheelnuts on the seven this weekend, and it has effectivity thrown the wheels on each corner or of balance, with the a really pronounced shake on the steering at 70mph.

Don't really want to start a thread about the usefulness of locking nuts, but rather, does anyone know a good way of weighting the other three nuts so I can make the 300 miles back to my normal nuts without shaking my teeth out of my bonce?!!

Unless they are monsters, they shouldn't have a big effect at that small radius. Are you sure it is these nuts ? Tyre fitters can have problems balancing wheel/tyre at the low pressures we run at ... tyre flexing or moving on the rim at 18psi. I have to get them to balance at 32psi ... then reduce the pressure afterwards.

Yeah... Seems that the nuts are the only variable, as I've been driving on them all week without problem before fitting them last night... Clearly I've never experienced such issues on heavier cars, but 13" wheels make the difference more material I guess... The lockers are twice the weight of the other three nuts

JK’s idea of putting all the locking nuts on one rim is a good one, or perhaps two on each rear rim, opposite each other. Assuming they do locate correctly and it’s the mass that’s causing the issue and not something else. 

At least you’ll confirm that’s why you have an issue quite quickly.  

Strange. I have used locking wheel nuts on my Sevens for 12 years without a problem. Tyre fitters do struggle to get the weights in non-fouling positions on the wheels, but a properly set up Seven shouldn't have problems with locking wheel nuts. On the GP circuit at Brands last year, I have no issues at full pelt. My car has been flat floored and laser aligned eye. Peter

Has the all on one solved the issue?

if not .. are you sure no weights have come loose?

Are the tyres new? Spirited driving on new tyres can cause them to move on the rim ...

racers tape weights, polishers might record weigh .. with new tyres mark the position of the value on the wall and watch them move ... probably more of a track issue

Once you've locked the brakes just slightly on a track they're out more than a few grams.  When I balance the wheels for the tin top I continue until the machine says "0" on all wheels.

Anything less than 8 grams for the Caterham and I don't bother because it'll be out after the first trackday anyway. (And I hardly drive the car on the road because I'd loose my license).